It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

idreamofsilence HB User
Want to taper celexa

Hi,

I used to write quite frequently on these boards. I had a bout of severe panic attacks that never ended and anxiety that was in the mix. On October 13 2008 my life forever changed with the first panic attack. After that it was downhill for a few months. I had to take leave from work for 2 months and at times couldnt leave my house. I had a lot of trouble eating and lost about 15 lbs in the process (115-100lbs) My health felt like it was failing and I finally was able to get on lexapro. I took lexapro but had to stop about 3 months? because of insurance and switched right to celexa. I am currently on celexa and have been probably about 10 months or so. Over all, I have been on medication for about a year. I feel that the celexa helped an extreme amount, although at times I do get anxiety/panic symptoms. I feel like they are easier to control now and I just try and let them pass. I was married this passed July and that part of my anxiety is over, and my husband and I would like to have children. I will not be comfortable taking medication if I get pregnant. I would like to taper off of celexa, but there is still this fear that I might go back into my terrble bout with panic attacks again. I label it as one of the worst times in my life and never want to go back. It was a nightmare I can never forget and I still get upset and cry when I think about why it happened to me. Has anyone had at least a year on celexa with panic disorder and able to taper without much problem staying off medicine? Please let me know. Any suggestions or stories will help. I do not want to stay on this medication forever. I hate taking medication, but without it I am still afraid I may not be able to function and Im nervous about that. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
(female)

sh 08 HB User
Re: Want to taper celexa

Well i am your woman i have been on celexa 2x now and there are a few things i hope to help you with, the only one i can't is the pregnancy because i am not familiar with that part and celexa.....anyways i lived your scenerios and unfortunately i had to go back on celexa because i needed it. I found once i did go off of it all my symptoms returned but thats because i have a chemical imbalance if you took it because you don't you just were going through a rough time then you may find you might not have to go back on it. Now as far weaning off, you didn't say what dose you are on. I have been on 20 and 40 mg. when i weaned i was on 20 and i hate to tell you this but it is not nice nor is it easy!! however whatever your dose is it should still be in the same pill form of oval that you can break. When you are ready to wean break it in half and take the half every day for about 2 weeks, then even though it may be hard to do and you may need a pill cutter cut that half in half and do the same. When you are done that process start taking that every 2nd day, then i would try taking it every 3rd day after that for a week. Even though you are doing this you will STILL have withdrawal effects no matter what and especially when you go right off of it. It will go away and thats one thing you have to keep in mind it is only temporary. I almost gave in a few times and took it to stop the withdrawals but i stuck with it and within a month of being 100% off of it i felt ok....only to go on it a year later lol I have been on the med a long time, about 6 years now and found it wonderful BUT it stopped working for me, so now i am on a new one (effexor) which so far so good and i literally stopped my celexa and went right on it with NO side effects whatsoever! i was lucky only thing is i have a full bottle of celexa in my drawer anyways one thing you may want to do is speak to your Dr to see if there is a med that you can switch to being pregnant although i don't know if there is.I only say this because you may find you actually do have a chemical imbalance and need something to balance out your brain. Some of the withdrawal symptoms i got were really sore eyes almost like i couldn't look at light, very similar to having the flu...i didn't get any of the "brain zaps" people talk about but i could barely keep my eyes open, i also got VERY grumpy!!! and basically felt withdrawn and like i was ill but i knew over time it would stop. I also suggest you look on the net for celexa withdrawal and weaning and what you can expect...please let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
(female)

idreamofsilence HB User
Re: Want to taper celexa

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!. I am currently on 20 mg. I was originally on 10mg from lexapro 10 mg. But because celexa is milder than lexapro, i had some withdrawl symptoms and was placed on 20 mgs. that helped to stabilize my panic attacks and such. I do not think it was just a worry issue. I truly went through hell for a few months, also while adjusting to the meds. The panic attacks were horrible, and not being able to eat or even function properly because of brain zaps and the like (while starting the medicine) and the numerous other problems dealing with the panic were just horrible. The depersonalization was the worst. Between that and the stomach clenching.. I just dont know. I just dont want to go off before I really pan out my options and talk to my doctor as well. It is just helpful to read others experiences with this so that I know I am not alone =) I have read some go off it pretty easily, while others it can take up to a whole year to taper without ridiculous withdrawl symptoms. My option would be for the LONG slow taper because I feel its a lot safer. Anyway, I truly appreciate the feedback!

Closed Thread