It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
(female)

CaliGirlie HB User
Sudden onset of intense anxiety, for no reason...

Hi, I've been suffering with intense anxiety these past few days and I just feel like I need to share what I've been going through with other people who might understand.

I'm 23 and married. I'm on break from college for winter, and I teach part-time, so I'm also off work until next week. After a really stressful semester, I've been looking forward to this holiday break for a long time. But now for some reason I can't even enjoy my break because I'm going through horrible anxiety.

It started Christmas Eve. I went to bed with my heart racing, and I woke up the next morning feeling the same way. Ever since then, I've been going through my days either completely exhausted (to the point where it hurts to keep my eyes open) or jittery with my heart racing. I've been getting more than enough sleep, and yet by the afternoon my head and eyes start hurting due to exhaustion. I literally have to turn off all the lights and just sit like a zombie. Then when it comes time to actually go to bed, my heart starts racing and I'm up for hours. When I breathe I feel like I'm not getting enough air, and the deeper I try to breathe, the more it hurts my chest. I'm only 5'2 and 98lbs, and when I feel my heart pounding it really frightens me that I'm going to have a heart attack.

I'm not pregnant. I started a new birth control, Yaz, more than a month ago, but I barely started having these symptoms this past week, so I don't think that's the culprit. I've also been taking a small dose of Spironolactone for my acne for a little over a month ago, which is actually supposed to lower blood pressure. I don't think it's due to that either, and I also really don't want to go off of it because it's already helping my skin a lot.

I have a history of anxiety and depression. I went through it as a teen and I've been on Remeron and Paxil (although that was 6+ years ago). As an adult, I've noticed that I'll go through a "bout" of depression about once a year, maybe less. It doesn't last long enough to seek medical help, usually just a few weeks. Nothing in particular brings it on, it just occurs over a small period of time, and my husband worries to death until it passes. But this is the first time in recent years that I've had such bad anxiety with my heart racing, chest hurting, and experiencing extreme shortness of breath. I find myself dreading going back to work next week, which is ridiculous because I love my job and I handle regular work weeks absolutely fine. I could barely bring myself to get out of bed today. I don't know how much more of this I can handle.

Sorry that this is so long. Does anyone have any advice on what might be able to help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
(female)

hamstachick HB User
Re: Sudden onset of intense anxiety, for no reason...

I can understand what you are going through and can relate. And for some reason, I would go through a few years where I would have little to no anxiety like other years. It's weird how it comes and goes. I call it "remission".

Right now, mine is here and has been since 2007, except when I was on Lexapro. I am on Zoloft now, but I don't care for it, and not sure what to do about it. Lexapro worked well on the panic attacks and daily anxiety, fyi, once you get past the initial start up crap.

I understand so well how it's hard to try to even think about calming down in that state. Been there, and am there often. I take Xanax as needed and sometimes that is often.

I have tried natural supplements, etc. and it didn't work for me. So I had to go back to SSRI. Kicked and fought against it. They help, but there are prices with them. =\

I would suggest trying to find out why you are anxious...underlying issues. There's therapy, and meds. Xanax, as you probably already know, can really help with the intensity of panic attacks. Sometimes it's not even enough, but at least it helps.

And to let you know, I have it too, with the racing heart, feeling my heart beat, shortness of breath. Sucks! You aren't alone in this, though it may feel like it.

If it doesn't go away, I would suggest therapy and meds. And make sure you are eating right, and take some b-complex, C, and multi vitamins.
Health Obsessed
Separation anxiety
Generalized anxiety disorder
~~*~BE HERE NOW~*~~
~~*~NAMASTE~*~~

Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
(female)

hamstachick HB User

PS--How did you like Remeron? I have been pondering trying it lately. I have read about it easing anxiety, but also weight gain and can knock a person out. I don't want that necessarily, I just want to feel GOOD and at ease.
Health Obsessed
Separation anxiety
Generalized anxiety disorder
~~*~BE HERE NOW~*~~
~~*~NAMASTE~*~~

Old 01-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
(female)

CaliGirlie HB User

Thanks so much for your advice. I always forget about taking multivitamins. I know they're good for you, but it just never occurs to me that they could affect all aspects of my body, including my mind. I'm going to try those before resorting to any serious meds again.

As for Remeron, I personally had a very positive experience with it. Paxil didn't really cut it, and when I went off of it I had odd side effects. It's funny, but I didn't even realize I had gotten better when I was on Remeron. I just felt like a normal person again. I had no side effects at all. And I'm a really small person who would notice any slight weight gain, and I didn't experience that. Going off of it was also an easy transition. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
(female)

irene498 HB User

It sounds like you have alot on your plate. Maybe your overwhelmed. If your anything like me I worry about things that might happen and that causes me a panic attack. sometimes we can be hard on ourselves and expect to much. You should talk to your doctor. Try relaxing by yoga and meditation.Think about the here and now. As far as yaz I have been hearing about side affects. It is used for PMDD. This might be an issue. Good Luck

Closed Thread