It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Suggestions for anti anxiety medication

I've heard that most anti anxiety medication (not benzos like valium, klonopin etc) cause worsening of anxiety before the meds kick in.

I am referring to Lexapro, Celexa and the others.

Is there any med you know about that doesn't cause terrible side effects upon the start of them.

There seems that there is nothing I feel I want to take but I need something badly.

What to do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Suggestions for anti anxiety medication

I take valium for anxiety and have never noted a worsening of my anxiety. As soon as the drug hits my system, it kicks in. I used to take Xanax and it was the same- as soon as I felt the drug, it relaxed me.

There are non-narcotic anti-anxiety meds like Buspar you could try. They aren't fast acting, though. Takes a while for the drug to build up in your system and work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

i think celexa had the least side effects for me. paxil put me in the emergency room within 3 days lol. but that's just me. i also think prozac can mess you up the first few days.

good luck.

i now use benzos by themselves.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
(male)

airpainter80 HB User

I'm on clonazepam, and it has worked wonders. I've been on it a while, but I don't remember any real side effects. I was taper on to it, so the initial grogginess wasn't bad.
Since I've been on it, I've had a few fairly minor anxiety/panic attacks, but not nearly as bad as in the past, and they are much further in between.
I was on xanax before that, but it was too short-acting, and I kept getting anxiety attacks, eventually bad enough that I couldn't work. I still struggle at times, and haven't recovered to the point where I can work yet (I also have depression, and a list of other big words doctors use to describe depression. lol).
Lets put it this way, a few years ago, I couldn't go into a gas station to buy a pack of smokes. About 2 years ago, I had my first art gallery showing, which was a trial and a half, but I made it. Last year I went out of state for a 5 day art class (which actually even suprised me).
This year, I leave next week for an internship for about 3 months at that same art school. To tell the truth, I'm not even sure I can do it, and I'm nervous as hell about it, but it's an opportunity to learn and work with argueably the best artist in my field (which is airbrush, in case the screen name wasn't obvious enough).
I can't say it's all thanks to the clonazepam, but it definitely was a big help.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
(female)

Stabevrian HB User

I took Zoloft and it worked great for me.

Closed Thread