It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Going off Prozac...

I am currently taking Prozac 20mg on a daily basis, and Xanax .25 mg only as needed when my anxiety is acting up more than usual. I have been doing really well on this mix and am considering the thought of going off of Prozac....

Last year was pretty stressful. I was planning for my wedding and was still at a tricky part of my career. I was starting something new with work, felt lost quite often... and then had my wedding planning that I had to do as well. Now the wedding planning is over (and I am married ), work is settling in a bit more, so I feel a bit more at peace. This is why I think I may do okay without the Prozac.

I get some mild side effects on Prozac, but nothing terrible. I get ZERO weight gain (which was my main concern), but I do notice that I get a bit more forgetful. Sometimes this gets pretty frustrating. I feel like yes, I am calm and happy, but when I space out, it can get upsetting too. I feel like I have ADD or ADHD when I am taking Prozac, or almost like I've had a few alcoholic beverages. At first I really liked the calm feeling I got from it, but some days when I'm really tired, I feel like I would be better NOT being that calm. Another idea would be taking down the dosage, but I am already pretty low at 20mg. I think there is only one dosage lower, the 10mg.

I also noticed lately that I was starting to have some sexual side effects. It's harder to orgasm, which I noticed is a common side effect. Of course, that's a bit of a bummer too!

Any suggestions with this? Would you guys suggest I try going off of it or lowering the dosage? My doctor just retired and I need to find a new doctor, so I can ask a new person about it, but unfortunately they just won't know my background.

In the past I decided to stop taking Cymbalta... best decision ever! I got my energy back, lost weight (Cymbalta made me gain a little bit of weight and made me feel exhausted), and I never felt any happier/calmer while taking it! It was also expensive for some reason because my insurance didn't cover a lot of that brand. I gradually weaned myself off of it per my doctor's instructions and all went well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
(female)

Ktspirit4 HB User
Re: Going off Prozac...

I am off Prozac 8 to 9 months after been on it 10 yrs + (never taking the recommended 20 mg x day)took every other day. I tapered over period of 2 months under supervision from my MD. It was a terrible experience and Im still not recovered -the vertigo -vision>( lightening splashes )shaky /faint feelings and loosing confidence caused me a real setback to the point Im considering going back on it. My Dr is pushing Lamictal and Deplin but Im ohh so scared -yet there are days I can barely function and wait for these clouds to lift.I feel the Prozac has caused permanent vertigo and messed up my brain chemistry --I have taken no other meds then (other than Prozac)or now and am physically very healthy .

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-09-2010 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Removed part of post not in response to the thread starter. Ms_Mod

Old 02-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Going off Prozac...

Oh wow, I am sorry to hear abou that! I hope things get better for you someday. I am prone to migraines and get vertigo ANYWAY ever since my older teen years, so I guess I wouldn't really notice it . Prozac tends to make me a bit more tired and forgetful, so I can concentrate a little better without it. I did have pretty bad vertigo when taking Cymbalta, so I definitely don't recommend that if you are avoiding vertigo! I felt like I was floating upwards when I was driving... ALL the time! It was a very odd feeling and I didn't feel safe to be driving. Yikes! When I tapered off on Cymbalta, I had a ton of energy and had a difficult time sleeping, yet I wasn't even tired. It's crazy how going off of meds can do such weird things!

Closed Thread