It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
(female)

luvmylife HB User
Question PAXIL Advice Please

I was recently given a perscription for paxil to treat my Anxiety/OCD and Panic however I am not sure I want to begin using it after hearing some of the many horror stories with taking it as well as coming off of it. I am not one to take medications to begin with I am pill phobic to side effects. I would love to hear some opinions from paxil users and their experience in using this ssri. In addition I am concered that this will be a medication I will need to stay on long term. I feel living in this anxious state is horriable and destroying my life and the treatment option may be just as bad.
Thanks for any help!!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

LeAnne1968 HB User
Smile Re: PAXIL Advice Please

Hello

I have been taking Paxil for almost 2 years. For me, I would rather take it for the rest of my life if I have to than to feel the overwhelming anxiety I had. Just as you would treat a sinus infection, Paxil can be very good for treating anxiety. It's been wonderful to me and have nothing bad to say about it. Just because they list side effects doesn't mean you'll have them, remember that. Just like Ibuprofin, Tylenol etc lists side effects, it's something that they must do.
The only problem I had with Paxil was in the beginning. Not that it was much of a problem, but for me I have to take it at night instead of during the day. In the beginning it made me very tired and I had to work all day long.
Also, make sure to get lots of rest and make time for exercise. I can't begin to tell you how much that helps.
I started off with 15 mg's and went up to 30mg's. Now, I'm back down to 15mg's and doing very well.
Hope this helps and give it a chance. It's great to feel GOOD again.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-16-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

luvmylife HB User
Re: PAXIL Advice Please

Hi LeAnne1968
Thank you for your input. I can relate totally to what you are saying. I would give anything to feel my old self again!! I miss enjoying life. I feel my world has become so limited. I have suffered now for years and in the past was given xanax which really was just a band aid to the problem. Don't get me wrong it worked wonderful for my anxiety and panic issues but it only lasted for a short time then the panic and anxious feelings would creep back in. I am starting to think that ssri treatment is the only thing that is going to help me get my life back on track and without living in constant FEAR! I was told to take 5mgs till my system gets used to it. It's that too low of a dose as mentioned you started at 15mgs? Congrats on feeling GOOD again

Old 02-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
(female)

LeAnne1968 HB User

Hi luv

Anxiety is ROUGH as we all know. And to people who don't have it, they can never understand the struggles we go through.
Regarding the Paxil: Give it a shot. I felt the same way you do, but I was so tired of feeling like I was going to crawl out of my skin all the time. So, I stared it and am I EVER glad I did. Remember, you also need to make changes to your lifestyle. You must find things that make you feel good naturally. Exercise is HUGE I can't stress that enough. Reading some motivational books really helped me. Find simple things that make you relax and quiet your mind. It's all very worth it AND it makes you healthier not only physically, but mentally & emotionally. Why? Because you build your self esteem when you respect yourself enough to take care of yourself.

For me, anxiety has been a blessing in diguise. I absolutely HATE IT, but it has taught me how I need to live my life and to bring kindness & compassion back into it. Not that I wasn't kind & compassionate, but I needed to remind myself to use it more. I smile and say thank you ALWAYS, I strike conversations up with strangers just to bring a smile to their face, I always say "bless you" when someone sneezes, etc... it's the little things that will turn your life around. Trust me on this.

The Paxil dosage they told you to take is what you should do. Then gradually go up. I would say in a month you'll be feeling a huge difference, perhaps sooner. Also incorparate the other things I told you about & start using them. I promise you, you CAN and WILL get better if you do the things your body is begging of you. We are the only ones who can truly love ourselves. WHen we worry and don't take care of ourselves, that's not respecting who & what we are.

Anxiety doesn't define who we are, the way we treat ourselves & others does. Believe in yourself and SMILE everyday.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
(female)

you understand HB User

Let me suggest Lexapro instead of Paxil. Yes, this is probably long term.

Closed Thread