It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
(male)

Donfriendly HB User
Lightbulb Paxil and Hyponatremia

I have been taking Paxil for anxiety for 5 years. The worst side effects I experienced were fatigue, mental confusion, and cloudy memory. After doing some reading, I found out that Paxil can cause Hyponatremia, or low blood sodium. This means that the level of salts, or electrolytes, in your bloodstream is low comparison to how much water is in your system. (Anti-depressants can cause your body to retain water.) That overall tired, dopey feeling was the result of low blood sodium. Therefore, itís essential that I consume a sports drink like Powerade, or even resort to eating a teaspoon of table salt. I managed to clear my head and feel more energized. Anyone else who suffers from the same problems should maybe try this.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
(female)

tata55 HB User
Re: Paxil and Hyponatremia

I am also on paxil and they tried to change me to Lexapro but I started having stomach issues and low blood sugars so I went back to paxil. I do retain water in my legs but didn't know why. My doctor gave me a low does of a fluid pill but didn't notice any difference so I don't take it. Paxil works better for anxiety I think but causes weight gain and thats why my doctor wanted to change me but I will figure out some other way to lose weight than take meds that make me sicker and cause more anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
(male)

Donfriendly HB User

That's a shame because Paxil is great for depression and anxiety. The trouble is those wacky side effects, of which I have experienced a multitude. The most troubling ones for me are difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness, mental confusion, and sleepiness. These side effects are making it hard to remain effective at work. Can't work well in outer space.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
(female)

constantsinus HB User

Thanks Don,

I have been on trileptal for years and am now on trileptal with zoloft. Both of these drugs have been found to cause hyponatremia. I have been FAINTING for years! I thought some horrible health problem had surfaced beyond my normal allergies and asthma. With two young babies, fainting is not helpful. Anyway I started to think it was diabetes or pernicious anemia. After lots of research, I realized it might be hyponatremia. I ate more salt today (first trial day.) Was a little less faint. I am going to buy salt tablets. Have you tried these? The most bothersome problems I have which I believe are from the psych drugs are fainting, fatigue, and foot/calf/hand cramps. I hope these will be relieved with some salt, because the drugs do wonders for my mood!

L

Closed Thread