It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

nancyjo HB User
Cymbalta v. Zoloft v. natural remedies???

Hi all--

I think I mentioned in another thread that I saw the PA at a psych office two weeks ago; she prescribed Cymbalta. The week before that, I ended up in urgent care and was prescribed Zoloft. After reading about the Cymbalta, I am afraid to even try it; it sounds as if it would perhaps be worse than the constant anxiety. I took Zoloft several years ago, but honestly don't remember how well it worked; back then, what I considered to be "anxiety" cannot hold a candle to what I am dealing with now.

I've tried 5-HTP, which is a precursor to tryptophan if I understand correctly; it gave me a stabbing headache. Most SSRIs make me extremely manic, and if I get any worse than I am now, I will have to go to the hospital and won't be able to take care of my son and my dog.

Should I just "swallow my fears" and swallow a pill? If so, how on earth to decide which one? The psych office will not be happy if I don't take the Cymbalta, but I really can't afford a name-brand medication. If I started on the Zoloft and it worked, I imagine my internist would prescribe that for me, along with a small amount of Xanax for overwhelming attacks.

I know the naturopath (?) practitioners say it's useless to take SSRIs if one is deficient in serotonin, because there is so little to re-uptake. They claim that 5-HTP is the way to build serotonin, but I am not at all certain that is my problem.

I just don't know what to do; if I take the AD, I run the risk of getting worse. I feel I have to do something, however, because the constant anxiety is causing me to express fears to co-workers, which could cost me my job and my health insurance...thoughts of that bring more panic.

I canceled an appt. with a therapist specializing in anxiety yesterday because of financial concerns, but sent an email earlier to set that back up; I have to get some help.

If any of you have any input, I appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
nancyjo

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-16-2010 at 05:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Cymbalta v. Zoloft v. natural remedies???

May I ask what dosage of Cymbalta they gave you? Perhaps a low dosage would be best to start with to see how you handle it. I tried it in the past and didn't feel a huge difference. I felt about the same. I decided to up my dosage after that, and that's when I felt tired all the time and felt almost numb. I guess that yes, I felt more relaxed and less anxious, but only because I was so tired. I was struggling with depression at the time and didn't feel that Cymbalta really helped with that, so that's why I stopped. I didn't have a terrible experience on it, but it just wasn't the right match for me. I gained a few pounds, but not a lot, so that wasn't too bad.

I take Prozac for my anxiety and it helps. I am starting to fall into some depression struggles again, and I feel like it might not address that as much as I hoped for and more helps with the anxiety. Also, I really like taking Xanax for panic attacks and very anxious moments. I was prescribed a low dose to take only as needed and not regularly. It's been perfect for that. It tends to make me tired and I try to rest after taking it. If I'm feeling very panicky, I feel like I could use a good nap after I start to relax anyway.

I haven't taken Zoloft, so I can't offer any experience on it. As for as natural remedies, I haven't found anything that truly works. It helps me to work out often since it helps me clear my mind. When I'm really tired and have low energy, I try to at least go for a walk or do yoga or pilates. It helps. A vitamin B complex can help moods too, but I haven't really noticed a difference from it.

Also, I take generic Prozac. It's only about $5 a month for the pills. When I took Cymbalta, they only had the name brand available, so it was more. For some reason, my insurance did not cover very much of it. There are random medications that it doesn't cover a big piece of (such as my birth control, since I chose to get name brand and they want me to go for the generic, which I dont want to do). Cymbalta now does have a generic form, which is supposed to be the same thing. I have done fine w/ generic Prozac and other generic meds... I just chose to not do that w/ my birth control because I heard that the fillers bothered a lot of people who took it!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 04-20-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Closed Thread