It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
(male)

mbiertennis HB User
The doctor's say it's anxiety, but have you had these symptoms?

I'm 23-years-old and a few years ago I was a hypochondriac who thought I had every disease under the sun. I feel in love and got over it. Now, after being diagnosed with a prostate infection, it's all come roaring back. I have been to 4 doctors, a counselor and a chiropractor now. I told all my symptoms to the first doctor and he said that it was anxiety. I couldn't believe him so I went to another doctor who did a complete neuro in-office exam and said he too believed it was anxiety. I went to a third who too did the neuro exam and said it was not neuro related, but she said she didn't believe it was anxiety, so she ordered a full blood workup and everything came back normal. Yesterday, I went to the fourth doctor (my primary) who also did the neuro exam and he said he disagreed that it wasn't neuro because it could be my neurotransmitters. I told him to do a urine culture and an A1C, both of which came back normal. I'm still waiting for the results of my Vitamin D to come back. My primary said he believes that it's either hypertension or anxiety. I don't know what to do anymore because I can't believe it's anxiety. My symptoms are: I have a weird sensation on both sides of my face. It's not numb because I have full sensation, it's just a weird feeling like there is a lot of tension in my face. I have mouth and tongue pain with a sore throat, I have felt tingling in my feet and my hands (it's more like a burning sensation in my feet and my hands are not really tingling anymore, but the doctor thinks my hands have carpal tunnel), I have a very slight tremor in my right hand and occassional headaches and eye pain (that could be from an allergy that I have to be on eye drops for a eight weeks for). I have a couple cavities I still have to get filled so I'm going to the dentist on Friday and discusing the facial/tongue stuff with him to see if it could be TMJ or something like that. But, three doctors have performed the in-office neuro exam on me and all 3 (including the one who used to work in neuro) have told me that it's not a brain tumor, stroke, MS, ALS or anything like that, but I'm scared to death. My primary mentioned hypertension could cause the tremor, but would that cause the facial/tongue stuff too? What's weird is sometimes I feel my symptoms sometimes I don't. Like Wednesday, I went for a walk with a friend of mine and we were having a conversation so I didn't even think about the symptoms, so it's like they didn't exist. But, when I got home, back they came. Could this be anxiety related? Has anyone else had anxiety with these similar symptoms like facial/tongue pain, tingling, etc. I don't know what to do anymore because I feel like I'm going insane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
(male)

bear6079 HB User
Re: The doctor's say it's anxiety, but have you had these symptoms?

Yes I have had similar symptoms as you. I have had the weird feeling in my head and tension in my eyes, but that is about it, but they were and are anxiety related. I have depression and anxiety. So most of my anxiety symptoms are related to my depression. For instance I have had very aggressive thoughts towards others and myself and when this happens I get nervous, guilty, scared, sick you name it. I have talked to my Dr. and counselor about these symptoms and thoughts and they both said that it is anxiety that is causing the intrusive thoughts and the symptoms that follow. So anxiety comes in many forms so if 3 out of 4 Dr. say it's anxiety then it most likely is.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

oh my goodness. i came to this site because i wanted to post the exact same symptoms you have, cept for the tremor.

i've been having some facial numbness and tingling in my extremities for a while now, and it's getting worse. i've had a CT scan for a tumor and it came back negative.

my neck is a little messed up though, as in i think i hurt it and i keep screwing it up with how i sleep and sit.

i'm on muscle relaxants, ibuprofen and benzos.

the only 'diagnosis' i've had is possible migraines (explaining the numbness) and tense muscles in my neck and shoulders and a neck injury from yoga.

i think anxiety ramps it up and we are so hypersensitive to what's going on it feels probably 10x worse than someone who doesn't have anxiety.

i've seen this alot on different boards. i started scaring myself into thinking it was either a virus or something environmental.

maybe we just don't have good posture. /shrug

keep us updated i'd love to know if you get a diagnosis.

i just started seeing a chiropractor because i really think im so tense im compressing nerves all over the place.

and i think i have migraines too which upsets me because they are such a hassle.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
(female)

GreenFlower HB User

I have had some of what you are describing. Family members have also had some of the same symptoms you describe. Part of my over all diagnosis is Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
You seem to have had many tests done and ruled out some important possibilities. With 3 doctors saying anxiety is your problem, anxiety medication might be a good place to start, keeping in mind that even if one med does not work, the next one that you try might be just the right one. Patience is an important factor if you decide to try some meds. Anxiety can and does interfere with everything else that might be going on. I wish you all the luck.

GreenFlower

Closed Thread