It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
(female)

zukergirl HB User
Question about Celexa.

I finally faced my anxiety and went to see my doctor to talk about it. I've had a very stressful past few weeks, my father had 2 kidney surgeries and my uncle unexpectly passed away. I had a very bad panic attack at the funeral and have been having them pretty much daily ever since.

My question is, how long will it take for the Celexa to really kick in? I have been on it for 5 days now. Since the big panic attack I am scared to leave the house. When the Celexa does kick in, will I feel more confident in leaving?

Thanks in advance for your replys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Question about Celexa.

It can take upto 2-4 weeks to realy kick in.

It is often practice to give a few weks worth of a benzodiazepine tranquilizer (Valium, Ativan, Xanax, Klonopin) to cover the initial 2 weeks, to help the patient feel better quickly, and build their confidence back, while waiting for the SSRI to kick in - you could discuss this with your doctor. There is no risk of dependence with a 2 week course.

Otherwise, just ride it out in the knowelege that better days are just ahead.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
(female)

zukergirl HB User

She did give me 15 Xanax to help out. She said one a day. I've been taking half of it in the morning and half towards evening. I feel a little better knowing I have half left thoughout the day.

I tried to go to the store with my mom yesterday. I was nervous while she was driving. I was in the store for about 10 minutes when I asked her for the keys and just went out and waited in the Jeep. I couldn't stand being in there any longer. I felt like I was going to fall over.

I was so active before all of this. Always played sports in high school, traveled, always going somewhere with friends. I'm praying that this calms down. I don't want to be stuck inside of the house the rest of my life, I'm only 25 years old.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Dont give up - it will take time to get the old you back, but with the right meds and some good counseling, you're well on the way to being better.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
(female)

Linda0818 HB User

I started Celexa (citalopram, the generic) about 2 years ago and it took about 2-3 weeks before I started feeling like a normal person again. I was also prescribed ativan for those "oh crap" moments. I still take the ativan on occasion but not nearly as often as I did before the Celexa started helping me. But once I got past the side-effects, and after a couple-three weeks, I started feeling so much better.

Celexa has saved me, I can tell you that much. I didn't want to leave the house either. I had trouble breathing and my heart would race and I was afraid to go anywhere, even to the store, because I was terrified of having a panic attack in public. But thanks to the Celexa I have my confidence back and I'm enjoying life again

Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
(female)

zukergirl HB User

What is your dosage if you don't mind me asking? She started me off on 10mg a day. I also have the Xanax for the "uh oh" moments. I try to take just half in the morning (for some reason I feel horrible after I wake up), and I feel better knowing I have another half for later. She only gave it to me for 15 days, but I'm hoping she gives me more just to have incase. I sure hope it works as well for me as it has for you. I tried going to the store again yesterday and had to sit in the Jeep while my mom went in. It's such an awful feeling. Especially since I was so active my whole life. Thank you for your reply. It helps knowing that today is my 8th day of Celexa. Only about a week left to go! (I hope)

Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
(female)

Linda0818 HB User

I too started on 10mg a day and now I'm taking 20mg. But, for me, 20mg seems to be working just fine, we've seen no need to up my dosage.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-10-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread