It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
(male)

Slickie HB User
Trouble falling asleep.

Hey everyone.

A week ago I had a panic attack for the first time. It was really scary since I had no idea what a panic attack was like, so I ended up going to the E.R. in full-on panic mode, thinking I was having a heart attack or something. I was checked out, given an absolutely impeccable bill of health, and sent home the same afternoon. That evening, and most of the day after, had me feeling very anxious all day.

As days went by, I started to feel better and better during the day. Yesterday was the first day where I felt great all day.

However, though I feel better during the day, nights are still troublesome for me. When I get in bed, I absolutely cannot stop turning and fidgeting and changing positions. I tend to feel some pressure and discomfort when I first lie down, and that subconsciously makes me anxious, even though I'm telling myself (sometimes even speaking out loud to myself) that everything is in my head and these discomforts aren't important or meaningful at all.

So I toss and turn for about a half hour or more each night. If I stop moving, and try my best to remain still, for some reason I immediately begin to hear my own heartbeat and I focus on it automatically. It's usually elevated from moving around so much, so that also worries me.

It usually takes about an hour to fall asleep each night. It's hard to remember exactly when I fall asleep, but I'm guessing I fidget until I'm exhausted and just float to sleep. Once I'm asleep, I tend to rest soundly until I'm woken up or until I just naturally awaken.

I usually drink some chamomile tea about 20 minutes before bed, though it's hard to tell if it helps - if I drink it after I'm already anxious, it doesn't do much, and there's no way to tell on a given night if choosing to not drink the tea would have made my anxiousness worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: Trouble falling asleep.

I'm sorry you're suffering.
First of all, be sure that your tea doesn't have caffeine in it right before you go to bed.
I know that is something that can kick my anxiety into high gear. Also, buy yourself a
sound machine; you can set it to sound like a rushing brook, or melodious birds. It can help relax you when you first go to bed.
Keep at the forefront of your mind that you just got a clean bill of health, and remind yourself of that as you begin to worry. Nighttime is a tough time because it's so dark and quiet. I would "say goodnight" to each part of my body, starting from my head down, as a relaxing gesture. A warm bath before bedtime can help relax your muscles and make you feel better psychically, too.

Sue

Closed Thread