It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Surgery

I may have to undergo laperscopic (sp) surgery for pelvic issues, i have never been put under and im 42 yrs old. I am deathly afraid of going under anesthia, and I have a fear of waking up before the surgery is over.

Can someone please help me with this anxiety!!! I also smoke and I fear the complications. Im worried the risk isn't worth the procedure. Going to tie my tubes and look around to see whats been causing my lower right ab/pelvic pain i have been having for three years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
(female)

jns1022 HB User
Re: Surgery

I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically back in December. Prior to this surgery I had never had a real medical issue before. In fact, I had made it 25 years and never even had blood drawn. Having to have surgery caused me a great deal of anxiety but it was no where near as bad as I expected. I too was afraid of anesthesia but I had no complications at all and woke up feeling like I had taken a nice little nap. I remember being wheeled into the operating room and next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. I know there are the horror stories about people waking up during surgery but that is rare so try not to worry about it. If you've been having the pain for 3 years maybe it is time that you have it checked out. I'm sure your doctor wouldn't be recommending the surgery if they didn't feel it was necessary. You will feel so much better knowing what is causing or is not causing your pain. If you have any additional questions, I'll do my best to answer. Hope that I was able to help. If I can handle going through surgery, you will be able to as well. Take care!

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-17-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your story. My biggest fear is appendicitis, I really want them to take it out, but im not sure if they will if its not causing my problem. Id rather them do that then tie my tubes lol

Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
(female)

jns1022 HB User

I've been having a ton of anxiety over my health still yet. Thank goodness no more gallbladder attacks though. Now you'll be wanting to have your gallbladder removed too, just kidding. Haha!

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-17-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 06-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lol, already had that checked and its fine

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-17-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
(male)

simply1 HB User

I've had gall bladder removed, nose done, and back surgery and it was fine for all of those. Also a scope down the throat, so 4 times and you go in, like 30 seconds later you're out of it and the next thing you know you're groggily coming to in the recovery area.

Best of luck, I'm sure it'll go fine for you

Old 06-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
(female)

jns1022 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4All View Post
lol, already had that checked and its fine
Haha! Well that's good! Really, I know what you're going through is stressful but chances are, after it's all said and done, you'll think back on it and wonder why you were so worried. Hope everything goes well for you. Best of luck and take care!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Hi there! I can also offer that every time I've been put under for procedures, there were no complications! I fell asleep VERY quickly with the anesthesia and woke up after everything was done, not early at all. I recently (November 2009) had lower abdominal surgery (they did two larger incisions rather than laporascopic though) for two hernias. They gave me Valium through an IV FIRST before I had the actual anesthesia. If this is an option for you, I HIGHLY recommend it. I remember them telling me they were going to give me Valium and nicknamed it "having some margaritas" and that I wouldn't remember things pretty soon. I remember laughing and saying "I'm starting to feel the margaritas" and don't remember anything after that. I'd say that was a good thing! I'd rather not remember all the details. I also asked for some medication to prevent nausea in my IV since I didn't want to risk that, and I had felt pretty sick that day due to a migraine (and could not take my migraine medication so soon before the surgery).

Definitely don't be afraid to ask your doctors lots of questions. It's very understandable to be anxious about this and I'm sure they have had other patients who are very worried. They should be able to explain everything in detail and assure you that all will be okay. Also, I would think that the risk of such a thing happening is even smaller with a surgery that doesn't take as long. I would worry more about that for a surgery that takes all day or hours, but I'm sure that's still extremely rare!

You will do great!! The only annoying thing for me was that I did feel very, very groggy for a while and still felt a little bit queezy. I asked if I could just lay there a bit longer before attempting to leave. My dad and husband helped drive me home and get me up my two flights of stairs to my apartment. After I got home, I slept most of the day! Sleeping really helped I also made sure to take my pain pills as they told me to. I handled the pain very well, but if I waited too long and forgot to take a Vicodin when I should have, then I noticed a big difference! Since you are getting surgery in a somewhat similar to me, I suggest being very careful when sitting up while you heal. I would roll to the side to get out of bed rather than sit up. This helped a lot! Just take things slow and get plenty of rest and you will heal great!!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for all the positive posts!!! I had a colonoscopy but I only had "twilight sleep" and I heard people go out with that but I didn't, he asked me questions and asked me to press on my stomache. I know they use that when they want to have you conscious so they can talk to you. But they used Versed and Fentynal (sp) and I was sick as a dog that evening.

I will definately ask about having something in my IV for nausea and for anxiety!

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-17-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I've actually never had the "twilight sleep"! I've only been put under anesthesia two times, once for impacted wisdom teeth removal and then for my hernia surgery. When I had the wisdom teeth surgery done, I actually didn't get any nausea at all and felt a bit better waking up, but this was probably since I didn't have a migraine that morning! I also slept a lot that day. Both times after I woke up, I had a hard time staying back awake!! They wanted me to stay up to make sure I felt okay and what not, let me have some water, etc., but I definitely fell back asleep when I got driven home and after I got home. I can see why you can NOT drive after such a procedure!

Yes, definitely ask about the Valium or something similar to calm you it worked very, very well! I didn't have any for my first procedure... after they put in the IV, I was put under pretty quickly. They had me count down from 10 to make sure I fell fully asleep and I probably didn't get past 7. With the second procedure, I was hooked up to the IV for a while at first with some fluids during the prep time. They had to draw marks on me where the incisions would be made. After I had the Valium, they wheeled my bed over to a new area... I knew what was going on during part of the move, but I did not remember getting there!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have ativan, (use to be on xanax but that no longer works on me) and that won't be enough at all to relax me, I'll have to ask for them to put something in my iv prior to surgery. I heard they do this to sedate you before surgery. My anxiety med wont touch this anxiety lol

Old 06-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh no, your medication definitely wouldn't be effective for this! You definitely need something in an IV, which will be stronger and more appropriate for this situation. I have Xanax, although a low dose, and it does work for me, but I know it definitely wouldn't work for pre-surgery uses. Xanax is something I want to use when I'm very panicked/anxious, yet I still need to go about my day and need to remember things! It calms me some and makes me a little sleepy, but I agree, it's no substitute for what the doctor can give you prior to surgery in an IV.

Closed Thread