It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
(female)

Impatient1 HB User
Seeing a psychiatrist for the first time...What to expect?

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in a couple weeks and I'm already totally freaking myself out over it. My counselor, who I've had 3 sessions with referred me to the psychiatrist for medication purposes. I've been battling issues with anxiety and depression as well. My PCP has had me on a 25 mg dosage of Zoloft, once a day, for the past 5 weeks. It hasn't been helping me at all. I've already made myself so nervous the past couple days about going to the psychiatrist that I feel sick to my stomach. What if he thinks I'm crazy? What if I don't feel like he is listening to me? How long does an initial visit last? What types of questions will be asked? Is it likely that he will prescribe meds right off since that is why my counselor is referring me to him? I'm already worried about not being able to find the place even though I know where it is. I'm already having a ton of anxiety over going and my appointment is not until the 30th. Please, someone, respond and fill me in on detail as to what your experience was like going to a psychiatrist. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Seeing a psychiatrist for the first time...What to expect?

Hi there! Like you, a counselor referred me to a psychiatrist when I went. When I talked to the psychiatrist, they did ask basic questions about how I feel and what I'm going through. They didn't go into much detail like a counselor would. I also took my own list of questions to take with me, such as about minimizing side effects and what not. It really wasn't bad at all! In fact, I'd say that talking to a counselor goes way more in depth since they talk more about your background and your thoughts. It was also a pretty quick appointment.

Later on when I decided to switch medications, I actually got my anxiety meds from my gynecologist! I know this isn't traditional and probably not the best idea since they do not specialize in the area, but she was actually very helpful and have had many other women ask about it too. She just retired, but had been in that area for many years and surprisingly knew quite a bit about the medications. She offered a lot of good advice and feedback to my questions.

I pretty much did some research of my own FIRST to take a look at which meds I was most interested in. Then I asked the psychiatrist which would be best for my anxiety and depression. I was concerned about gaining weight on medication or sexual side effects, so I asked if they could recommend one with a lesser risk of these things. Then they ask basic health info, like if you are taking any other medication, any health problems, etc. Best of luck to you! I promise it is not bad!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User
Re: Seeing a psychiatrist for the first time...What to expect?

The pdoc will take your health history and ask you about your symptoms and the severity. The doc may up the zoloft amount or change you to another drug. Zoloft is the go to drug for non psych docs to prescribe. Not every drug works for every person. I have been through alot of drugs for anxiety. It's the trial and error so please don't be stressed even more it the doc tries to go a different way with your meds. I know that all of this can be overwhelming in the beginning.

Closed Thread