It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Prozac out of system?

How long does it typically take anti-anxiety medication to be out of your system? I recently stopped taking Prozac, but it's been at least a month. I stopped taking it due to feeling overly tired, which I thought was from not sleeping well with Prozac, as it was getting worse with time.

Unfortunately I notice NO improvement, so I am wondering if feeling so tired was not related to the Prozac at all. I've been feeling worse mentally, so I'd like to consider going back on it if Prozac wasn't causing the tiredness and brain fog.

After a month, shouldn't side effects start to go away? I'm starting to think that my tiredness is just related to everything going on in my mind, plus sleeping a little less than I should. I typically get 6-7 hours of sleep per night, but I'm the type that really needs a full 8 hours. I had weeks where I was traveling and was able to sleep 8 hours a night (since there were no errands to get done, etc). I felt my best ever! I felt that my concentration and memory were better too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

gpain HB User
Re: Prozac out of system?

I just done with paxil (another ssri). I have met a lot of people (me included) with the same symptoms as you. Please do not make the same mistakes I made and get on another AD. There is a very good neuro that knows about these things and when I saw your post I just had to answer. I am not a doctor, but this is what happens. Please google ME/CFS. I have this now as an ADR of ssris. You are not as bad as me, but if you go and take another one of those pills and not take care of yourself, you will be well on your way to what I am going through. Best things to do are: Eat healthy (organic) VERY nutritious foods, less stress, vitamin C for now and clean SPRING water. Evian is the best in mineral content and other things. I researched every water report for every water bottle company that I can think of, and found evian was the best.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-18-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Thanks for your reply! Now I have one question related to all of this... I have ALWAYS been a pretty tired person, even before even taking Prozac. It's an issue on and off, sometimes better, sometimes worse. I remember having a hard time staying awake most days during high school. I had plenty of days like this even before ever taking medication. The one medication I have taken for a very long time is my birth control pill. I do know this can create similar feelings of chronic fatigue/tiredness, but I wish to stay on it. I previously had very bad stomachaches each month during my period and would vomit very often. It would keep me home from school. I can't be missing work this often and would absolutely hate to feel this way again. I would rather be tired than struggling with getting through the day feeling sick every month. I also do not wish to become pregnant and other methods of birth control do not appeal to me at all.

I guess I thought Prozac was making me feel this way since I hadn't been that tired in a while, but I definitely have felt that way before ever taking it. I notice that my anxiety/depression takes a lot of my energy as well. Are there any ways to tell if it for sure can be an adverse reaction to the medication? Any other things that would likely be happening? I'd be very interested in learning more. I'm so sorry you have to go through this!

Well, the good news is that I am a bit of a health nut, so I love healthy eating and exercise. I used to have poor body image, so being healthy is very important to me. Unfortunately I have not been as good with my diet these past few months due to stress, but I'm cleaning things up again. I didn't really care about what I was eating during some time because a family member of mine was very ill from cancer, and she passed away. My food didn't take priority at this time, and neither did exercise. Things have calmed down a lot since then, and now I'm making my diet and exercise a priority again!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

gpain HB User

Great Job on turning it around! I too was suffering from fatigue before the drugs. I was then diagnosed with gastroparesis. I was having EXCRUCIATING stomach pain and vomiting to the point where I lost 20 lbs in one month. No one could explain why it was happening, so they thought it was all anxiety. I was shoved paxil and that made EVERYTHING worse. There is a hormonal link to the vomiting around the period time. I was told that I was never going to be able to eat again because they say that it is nevere damage to the gut nerve. I am eating again.. they were wrong. My new doc thinks that it was probably caused by a virus that jump started these symptoms. I really don't know, but I can definately tell you that the ssris were not the way to go. You do not want to be bedridden like me. I get so tired now that just walking to the bathroom has made me passout. breathing makes me tired. I feel like am going to die anyday now. I am not giving up though. I keep searching for a way out. I am not alone, and have met people in my situation. When enough people get together to help each other out, it gets you closer to a solution. We have done enought research by looking at health journals, I got a hold of some scientists to talk more on a personal level to help. They gave me their input and I took that info and it led me to find new things which have helped me. But what I posted for you in the previous post is what you can do to help stop this in it's tracks all in a nutshell. Taking BC will of course do some harm to a body, but that is when you need to way the benefits to any drug. It is up to you and your doctor to decide if you want to continue. You don't really have another choice besides abstinence if you have rejected all other things (I would have done the same), but remember... for every drug you take, you are owing your body a lot more. That is why it is important to take care of yourself in every way possible while taking a drug.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
(female)

gpain HB User

I also forgot to mention. Remember that all drugs have side effects. Sometimes they are severe side effects and sometimes they are mild, and some are not noticable.. but they all create a different type of activity that is unnatural to the body. Drugs are needed in some case, and they are great when the benefits out weight the risks... such as in your case in taking BC, BUT don't give your body more trouble or work by dumping bad food, stress etc because that will tire your body out. See when a body is on a drug, the body tries to compensate for the change. It will take the body MORE energy to do this. The energy that the body spends in keeping it balanced is called homeostasis. You can help your body with that energy and perking you up with plain old vitamin C. Some animals create their own vitamin C... we do not. We need to get it from food. Since we do not make it, we are more susceptible to to many things. Help your body... don't give it more internal work in a state of tiredness.

Last edited by gpain; 06-18-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Short term side effects are one thing, but long term ones, that's a different story! I definitely want to avoid those if at all possible.

With my birth control pill, it has really helped regulate my hormones to avoid me getting sick. I notice that I still have issues with headaches during that time, but at least now it's only the headache and not that plus stomach issues. Yuck!

I am very sensitive and am prone to migraines. I don't take any prescriptions for this and instead try to eliminate anything that would cause a migraine. I am not anti-medication, but I don't want to take meds if I don't have to. I found that chocolate was a trigger for me, so I no longer eat any chocolate at all. I also have to wear good, polarized sunglasses because bright lights were giving me migraines. I also have to drink plenty of water and get plenty of rest. I haven't been getting enough sleep, and I know this affects me very much with the migraines and tiredness!

What I find challenging is eating right while traveling for work. I've had a few recent full week travels for training. Unfortunately, food is included in the tuition costs, and work would like us to eat whatever they provide to us. Often times, it is NOT healthy! I decided I would just go to the store and buy my own food if I didn't care for what they were serving, but I had no rental car and there was no store nearby. I literally felt stranded. Unfortunately, this time around, I got told that I wouldn't need a rental car and not to get one. I would hate to have to spend unnecessary money on my own expense! I just don't find it fair that I have to not respect my health. I don't think that is too much to ask for. This next time around, I am hoping I have a store nearby, and a fridge in my hotel room.

I think too often, prescriptions are given when we don't truly need them. I try to think and do full research FIRST on my own. I did decide to take Prozac on my own, because I was miserable and therapy, exercise, and a healthy lifestyle full of faith was still not enough. I just had not been myself. I am not giving up though! I'm hoping that with age, things get better.

I have one problem... I do not enjoy resting! This causes me to feel so tired, but I just prefer to run around and keep busy all the time. My goal is to find BALANCE. I get so bored to tears if I'm trying to relax. I've been trying to take naps occasionally and read more often. Reading is good because I keep interested, yet it's relaxing. I've also been doing more yoga and pilates in addition to my cardio and weights to add in some exercise that helps me relax mentally! I think all of this will help a lot once I really get into the habit.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
(female)

gpain HB User

I'm not anti-meds as well, and if it is better not to take them when you can just make a few changes then I'm all for it. I think you are on the right path, but I understand it's hard because of schedules.. I was in the same situation last year. I wanted to be healthy, but I was going to school and working.. always running from one place to another and I would just grab and go. Yoga is great!! reading is good too. Have you ever thought of neurofeedback? you know what? I was never really the type to go out dancing, but when ever I did which was one in a blue moon, I would get my stress and energy out and it was soo much fun getting friends together! I would come home tired and very sleepy. I would wake up the next day feeling great. I think it's sort of like exercising, but fun. I ended up taking ballet again and that worked great!! You have to focus very hard, but at the same time you are relaxing your brain in other areas. There is a big explanantion to this. How are you on coordination?

Last edited by gpain; 06-18-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I absolutely love to go out dancing! Unfortunately I just don't have a good group to go out with, but I go whenever I get the chance. It's definitely fun and good for de-stressing! I did take dance class for a year and loved hip hop and jazz, but I'll admit, I am not the best at remembering the moves, so I really had to practice, but I did pretty well. Once I can remember the moves, I'm good with the coordination. I'm just not as coordinated as I wish when it comes to sports. In athletic in the sense that I enjoy running and working out, which does wonders for my anxiety, but I am not good at catching balls, hitting balls, etc! I played volleyball for a year and practiced so hard, but just didn't improve as much as I hoped! Maybe one day The whole issue with the friends does upset me.. I have a lot of friends, but few very close female friends. I usually hang out with guys because I get along better with them, but of course they aren't going to want to do girly things with me. Most of the girls I end up friends with are a bit competitive with me and try to brag a lot, and I just don't enjoy talking about those things. I just want to have fun! My best girl friends all live in different towns, so I visit when I can. Back to the workout topic- I have decided to up my workouts a little bit. I typically run about 3 miles 5 times a week, but I've decided to up it to 5 miles. Some days I'm very tired and don't feel like working out... what I did today was come home and take a nap for about thirty minutes, then spend a little time just hanging out at home and waking up, THEN I went and worked out. I felt much better than forcing myself to go when I'm very tired.

Do you happen to know if there are any tests that can be done to find out if I have sensitivities to particular medications that can cause long-term side effects? I do want to get more tests done like getting my thyroid checked, possibly sleep tests, etc, but just need to get some time to do that. I finally was able to schedule my remaining vacation days for the year at work, so I'm working on getting appointments on those days! I wonder if they can check for any of this stuff.

I have not looked into neurofeedback. Have you tried this yourself? I'll have to look up some more info on that. Overall, I know I am a perfectionist and I'm hard on myself. I need to cut myself some slack so I don't get worked up inside, which I know stresses me out and upsets me. I just need to try my best and accept my hard work for all that I do.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
(female)

gpain HB User

you seem to listen to your body and that is very good! LOL my situation is quite the opposite on the GF thing. I have nice GFs who like to just hang out and have fun, but now I am too sick to go. Can you believe I have not stepped foot in a mall for a year now??!! I can't do anything now. I guess we can't always have it all sometimes . There is actually a test that can show you if you are going to react badly on a drug and also if you are taking mutiple drugs. < edited > Neurofeedback is something that was recommended for me to do. I asked a friend who is currently on this treatment and he says that it has been helpful. It is non-invasive and that is the route I am wanting to take for now since my body is overlystimulated at the moment. I am amazed at how you sound so much like me.... more like before I got into this mess. It is a VERY long story on how I got here, but yes if I can go back into time, balance and not being so hard on myself would be something that I would have worked on. You are probably a hard worker that wants to get the task done right the first time. If that does not happen, it takes energy out of you internally because of the frustration that at the time you do not notice. I was like this, and if you are like this because I'm beginning to sense it, remind yourself to just step back for a minute and just let things flow sometimes. It will come to you. Am I right? It's a good trait to have to want things done right, but you said the magic word there.. balance. Now work on it woman!!

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-19-2010 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are so encouraging and nice

I actually have improved a good amount on not being so hard on myself, so that's a very good thing! I just need to work on it more. When I was on Prozac, I felt awesome with this... I was truly relaxed and didn't really worry about stuff. I just went with the flow all the time and thought things would just turn out how they were meant to be, and I didn't stress over it. Unfortunately now those worries are coming back since I'm not taking Prozac. I will just have to work on this! I was stressed at work, and two of the people I work closely with just quit, so it's a very busy time, but things should slow down soon as we find replacements.

I hope things get better for you with going places! I understand how difficult it is to go to places, like malls. I always try to go during weekdays when it isn't so busy. I avoid going on weekends when it's super packed. Most days, I would rather just shop online, even though it's a hassle since you can't try things on. I just feel so much calmer! I do this much more often now.

I'm definitely going to look up the information about medications and see what I can find out. I'll have to look into the neurofeedback too. I hope it can help! I can definitely open to trying new things that may help. Whether or not Prozac is indeed causing adverse reactions, I definitely still have work to do! I'm sure it takes plenty of time to get things all straightened out. I was actually suspecting narcolepsy not long ago, because I literally can go to sleep at ANY time. I had to start taking a pillow to keep in my car in case I need to take a nap on my lunch break to get through the day. So annoying!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 06-19-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Closed Thread