It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

zukergirl HB User
Question ... please help if you can.

<edit> A few weeks ago, my anxiety went full blown. I'm 25, I still live at home. Today was my 16th day of Celexa 10mg's, it has helped a little, but not like I hoped it would. I see my doctor on Wednesday, and hopefully she increases it.

Anyways, my Mom has been very understanding. She has sat with me through a few panic attacks and has been great. My Dad on the other hand seems to be kind of old school and is pretty much like "You can get over it". I am slowly doing stuff. I went out with my Mom twice this week and even drove down the street to the store yesterday (with my Mom of course incase she had to drive back). But it's like he expects me to start driving across country right away.

<edit>

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-18-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Please note edit to your post, it would be a violation of the posting policy for another memeber to post website addresses.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Question ... please help if you can.

The thing about any mental illness- be it anxiety or depression or other- people who have never experienced cannot understand it. They can have an academic understanding, but not an empathetic understanding. A lot of people think we can just snap out of it, or we're being weak, or not showing enough effort, or whatever. Those people will never get it, unless they too end up with some sort of mental illness themselves. Other people will at least be sympathetic. The ones who will truly be empathetic are the ones who have suffered from some form of mental illness themselves.

A lot of sites can explain the academic stuff to your dad but he may not really understand it ever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

10mg of Celexa is a subtheraputic dose - like taking half an advil for a headache

You would probably need 20mg to get a theraputic effect

Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
(female)

zukergirl HB User

Thank you guys.

Jonnstar - I see my Dr. on Wednesday, I'm definately going to ask her to increase it. Thanks.

Closed Thread