It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Red face Lexapro, and OMG.

I am taking 10mgs of this going on week three, I am always.......always.....tired, should I talked to my doctor about lowering back down to 5mgs? I take this for very bad anxiety and depression..........

Please this is so serious to me.........I want to make this one work for me.......HELP..........

The following user gives a hug of support to himmylover:
1mozart (06-23-2011)
Old 06-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
(male)

Archimedis HB User
Re: Lexapro, and OMG.

If it is working and the anxiety monster is at bay then give it a couple more weeks. See if your body adjusts and you no longer have that tiredness. I would think that you would adjust to the doseage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

5-10mg of Lexapro are very low doses - I doubt they are causing your symptoms, they are more likely to be caused by the anxiety and depression it self

he usual minimum effective dose is 20mg per day

Old 06-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

I will give it more time, still having some anxiety though....

Old 06-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User

I, too, took 10 mg. Lexapro (for about a ten-month period of time a few years back.) I found that, starting after about a month, it definitely helped my depression, although I didn't find it as helpful for anxiety as breathing exercises, relaxation exercises, and calming "self talk."

So I agree you should give it a chance for at least a few months. Make sure you don't stay up late and get on a regular sleeping schedule. This is VERY important for fighting fatigue!

Practice relaxing your entire body and try to fall asleep peacefully and comfortably every night.

I also had a problem with fatigue while on Lexapro, but depression makes me tired, so I don't know how much the Lexapro contributed (though I think it was some.) Also, I didn't drink coffee daily back then, which I do now, and it helps me have energy. I also went to bed later back then, which I also think contributed to fatigue.

However, if I ever take Lexapro again, I would probably start on 5 mg. Lexapro to see if that works, due to the side effects of (constant!) constipation and some weight gain.

I don't agree that 10 mg is a low dose. That's what they prescribed me as a normal dose.

P.S. Another common side effect is vivid dreams. Are you having those, and do they affect your sleep-- could that be contributing to your fatigue? How do you feel you sleep at night-- good quality, or no?

peace

Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
(female)

janettehyde52 HB User

do the vivid dreams go away as well as the tiredness? My son has been taking this for 6 weeks and only feeling slight benefit.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

I think I am now sleeping better. I am going on week four..........not quite as tired as I was...................thank goodness........and do think I am starting to feel better.

How many mgs. is your son taking? I do believe it can take up to six to eight weeks.............on this medication for fully benefit...........

Old 06-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
(female)

janettehyde52 HB User

He is taking 20mg now for 4wks and took 10mg for two weeks. He is still not sleeping well and thinks the lexapro is causing this. He takes in the morning..when do you take yours?

Thanks for your help...I am so worried about him.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-28-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 06-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am on 10mgs about week four now. I Take my around 6 AM or so. How old is your son?

Only reason for asking is he could take something like Melatonin to help him sleep. You can get that at Walgreens, or Walmart and it is a natural sleep aid.

Maybe this would help him. Or talk to his doctor about the dose? It made me terribly tired, but I AM getting better with that.......

I think the Melatonin will make a great difference.

Hope this helps...............is he feeling any better besides the sleep?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
(female)

janettehyde52 HB User

My son is 29. He has been taking melatonin and some other natural sleep aids. He had the sleep issue before he took the lexapro. This has been his biggest concern, sleeping and feeling rested. He was also given trazadone to take at night for sleep but he feels very groggy in the morning. He is so adverse to taking drugs and it has been hard to get him to be consistent (except for the lexapro, every morning) with his sleep routine. His doctor is now giving him seroquel (?) to help with the sleep and depression but his is reluctant to try and is hoping to sleep on his own.
He has taken time off from work to deal with this and has to go back and two weeks. He is very anxious about being better to go back or at least get the sleep down. Did you find lexapro gave you weird dreams?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, maybe at first, but they subsided. Trazadome is awesome for sleep, have him take it about a hour before be, at the least amount and see if that helps.

I was on Prozac and could not sleep for the life of me. I was also given Trazadome and it really kick my butt. But I needed the sleep.

I heard the other serqual(SP) Sorry is a very good medication too.........what about Ambian?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
(female)

janettehyde52 HB User

Thanks for your helpful responses. My son just called and said that he had another restless night. He can fall asleep ok but wakes up and can't fall back to sleep. He is also taking Buspar which he says makes him feel calm. He's been takings lexapro for 6wks total and Buspar for 2 wks, so I think he is expecting a lot more results...I keep telling him it takes time and he also needs to get out of the house and do things. The therapist told him to take time off of work, and the psychiatrist thinks this was not a good idea because he has too much time on his hand to ruminate about himself.
Are you working? Did you feel the trazadone drowsiness became less and less as you took it? How long were you on it?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, I am laid off and that itself set off allot of my depression and anxiety.........

However, I stay very busy to try and keep my sanity............I hate not working, makes me feel lessor of a person.....

I workout, babysit, volunteer and spend time with my mom.........she is getting older, and I am worried about her.

Too much on this gal's plate........way to much............but guess it is part of life.

The trazadome, I took about a hour before bed @ 25mgs, and I was a miracle drug for me.............now off of that, and I take klonoplin as needed.

Life is tuff but land's it could be so much worse......Tell your son to be patience, and I AM NOT ONE TO BE PATIENCE, but it will pay off.

Good luck.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
(female)

janettehyde52 HB User

thanks for all your help...

Old 06-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are very welcome!

Closed Thread