It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
(male)

feelingok HB User
Artery damage from sympathetic nervous system/hi pulse rate/anxiety spikes?

Are short term rises from nervousness/stress, that spikes your pulse rate for a few seconds/minutes, injurious to artery/heart health? I know it causes high levels of blood sugar to be released from the liver (& maybe can cause type 2 diabetes over time?), etc. but I'm not sure if these quick surges affect the lining of the endothelium (& thus, cause hardening of arteries, damage, etc. over time)?

I get a feeling of higher pulse rates during these times (about 20-30 beats/min. higher than resting pulse rates) & also cold hands, etc. & I then take my pulse (& it is like I'm having a fight or flight response & therefore it is up a bit by 20-30 beats) & then as quick as I get worried/nervous over something it abates ( &pulse & bp go back to normal, to about 110/74 & pulse rate in low 70s to near 80 -- when I become at full rest again in just a minute or 2).

Thanks for any help on this.

Last edited by feelingok; 06-22-2010 at 02:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
(female)

Katie Brown HB User
Re: Artery damage from sympathetic nervous system/hi pulse rate/anxiety spikes?

Stress exhibits as many forms and heart disease is definitely aggravated by stress. Try to control your anxiety. I use magnesium chloride and anxiety control products. They help without fear of addiction. I have a lot of stress and anxiety and don't want it to get the better of me or be dependent on drugs.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-22-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
(male)

feelingok HB User

Hi Katie,

Thanks much. But why mag. chloride vs sulfate or other forms? I see Vitacost has both mag. chloride & other cheaper ones? Which brand/size would you get? Thanks again. Also how many to take daily? I had a blood test in March w/ a normal mag. level, so is it ok to add more mag.?

Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
(male)

feelingok HB User

Hi just bumping this so others could put their input in. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
(male)

feelingok HB User

Does anyone else see the 2008 Journal of Cardiology article/study (google that query & you can read it too) that talks about men w/ anxiety & their prognosis over 20 yrs. Many do get heart disease, & this scares the heck out of me. I try hard to reduce stress but don't quite know how, w/out meds, to calmdown enough to do meditation, etc.

Closed Thread