It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
(male)

Slickie HB User
Overly aware of my breathing?

Exactly three weeks ago, I had my first panic attack out of the blue. It was really bad and I had no idea what was going on, so I had myself driven to the E.R. thinking it was something like a heart attack. They checked me out and everything came back perfect.

For the first week following the attack, I felt anxious about half the day, but I read the Linden Method and listened to the CDs and calmed down. I know anxiety and panic can't harm me - I'm not scared of it hurting me anymore. At least not consciously. It's an annoyance more than anything else now.

The second week was the best week yet. I only had a couple of occasional moments of anxiety.

This third week started okay, but over the course of the last two or three days, I've become hyper-aware of my own breathing. I know my body can breathe on its own, but somehow I get fixated on my breathing, and then because I'm fixated on it I manually take control of it. I don't do a good job when I'm behind the wheel of my own breathing.

After maybe 10-15 minutes of manual breathing, I start to get some mild anxiety as well as some discomfort and mild dizziness. I don't worry about suffocating or anything, but I feel annoyed. I really don't want to think about my breathing. It just happens.

When I become really engrossed in something, like a movie or video game or conversation, I feel fine. But as soon as I'm not fully involved in an activity that takes up most of my concentration, I start thinking about my breathing again.

This is really the only symptom of anxiety I have left to conquer. I've tried a few things, like holding my breath so I can see that my body automatically takes a breath on its own, but that hasn't helped. It's at its worst at night when I'm trying to fall asleep - I usually just toss and turn until I fall asleep of exhaustion an hour later.

I'm worried that if this continues, it can lead back to anxiety like the kind I felt that first week after my E.R. visit. Yesterday was the first time that this annoying breathing fixation led to a moment of high anxiety - I went out for a walk, went up a flight of stairs, and was short of breath. I was absolutely fixated on every breath I took, and I felt this sickening "rising" action that I feel when I'm entering a state of high anxiety - like there's a balloon in my chest that just shot straight up into the sky.

Last edited by Slickie; 06-30-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
(male)

5088 HB User
Re: Overly aware of my breathing?

The good news is the "awareness" will get better .

I have had them for 20 years , it does get better .

Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
(male)

snapcrackle HB Usersnapcrackle HB Usersnapcrackle HB User

usually you get these problems because you aren't breathing properly
when you are anxious you take short breaths all the time and it makes you feel strange

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-03-2010 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 07-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
(male)

jma1024 HB User

so am i think about almost every breath i take and i too control my own breathing even tho our bodies can breath on there own. it even affects me when im talking because when i talk theres that little thing in my head going did i take a breath yet i need a breath your not breathing right. its terrible when i talk i feel a rush of fight or flight in my stomach. i too have been to E.R for it to only be told nothing is wrong

Closed Thread