It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
(male)

5088 HB User
Anyone used exercise for anxiety ?

I dont have the anxeity as bad as i did , i take zoloft 25 mg .

But im sick of the sleepless nights from the SSRI drugs .

It seems i can chose anxeity , or sleep at night .

I did do martial arts years ago , im thinking about starting back (in my 40"s, am i crazy ?

Anyone have luck with exercise (and no meds)?

Thanks

Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Anyone used exercise for anxeity ?

Exercise helps me greatly! I'd be lost without it, with or without meds. My mood improves a lot from it. I especially enjoy running while listening to music I enjoy and lifting light weights. The bad thing is, if my workout gets disturbed and I have to stop for whatever reason or don't get to go when I planned to, I get very, very anxious from NOT going, and quite upset. I remember one time in particular, I was feeling anxious from the start, so I went for a run. I stepped wrong and twisted my ankle and had to stop to prevent it from becoming anything worse... I then had increased anxiety! I also love yoga and pilates for days when I'm very tired, yet anxious. It's great for relaxing the mind.

I am unfortunately the opposite about SSRI's... they make me extremely tired and I sleep just fine with them, but I always feel like I didn't get any sleep! I'll sleep nonstop for the full night and not wake up, yet I'm still exhausted. It's frustrating being so tired all the time! I stopped taking my SSRI's and only have Xanax to take as needed (no side effects from it for me). I am soon going to start Wellbutrin, but I do know that it has a possibility of increasing my anxiety as well, so it will all be trial and error.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
(male)

Archimedis HB User

5088 I was having sleepless nights and my doctor perscribed Remeron which is being used to treat anxiety and has a sleep agent in it. Put me right to sleep.....

Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
(male)

feelingok HB User

I use exercise but until I finish my workouts, I'm tense & anxiety-ridden, so it is a trade off til I finish. I get very nervous before lifting weights for example, as I worry I'll reinjure my back or drive my pulse too high & have a heart attack trying so hard to stay in shape, etc. It is bizarre to be me but it is the way I truly feel. It is not a pleasant feeling when it occurs though.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
(male)

5088 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedis View Post
5088 I was having sleepless nights and my doctor perscribed Remeron which is being used to treat anxiety and has a sleep agent in it. Put me right to sleep.....
The remeron was too sedating for me , ill bet it would give anxeity a "beat down " , though .

Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
(male)

greg1x HB User

I highly recommend exercise. Working out is one of the few things that keep me remotely sane ! Greg

Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
(male)

Nemmm HB User
Re: Anyone used exercise for anxiety ?

Exercise also helps me. I have breathing problems due to anxiety lasting throughout the whole day and when I run in the night, the next day I feel a lot better.

Closed Thread