It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

trilogyglass HB User
Lexapro and social situations

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice. Ever since I was around nine or ten, I suffered from social anxiety, but didn't know it. All of my friends and family just thought it was normal for me to avoid every single possible social situation that I could because I kept anticipating all the bad things that could happen, like me panicking. Anyway, I've been taking 10 mg of Lexapro for about two years now, and it seemed like I was doing better, but now it seems like I've developed a type of tolerance to it. I no longer want to go out and socialize, am skipping activities that I love for no good reason, and the thought of dating is giving me mini-panic attacks. In fact, the only way I can go out with a guy now is if I take some sort of opiate like percocet or if I drink a lot of alcohol. Both options that I would rather avoid of course.

Should I talk with my doctor about increasing my dosage or switching to another medication? I was on Celexa for a short while, but that drug made me extremely irritable and achy. I'm worried because I'm supposed to leave for Europe in four days, and am thinking of ways where I can "accidently" not go, like maybe injuring myself, even though I know that this is a trip I've really been looking forward to for the last few months. Please advise me!

-Megan

Old 07-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
(male)

Archimedis HB User
Re: Lexapro and social situations

Your not leaving yourself much time for a change in medication with you leaving for Europe in 4 days. You absolutely do want to go on your trip, I went to Holland 10 years ago and am grateful for my experience. Perhaps you could contact your doctor for some ativan/lorazapam to take with you for near immediate relief when you feel that social anxiety starting to come on. Would hate to see you continue taking perocet. When you come back you should talk to your doctor about possibly changing your medication explaining to him that it is now pooping out on you. Have a great time in Europe, wish I was going back.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
(female)

trilogyglass HB User
Re: Lexapro and social situations

Thanks for the reply Archimedis. I will try what you suggested because I know that I don't want to miss out on Europe! I'd like to go to Holland, but for this trip, I'm heading to Rome, Paris, and Athens.

It just sucks, you know? I'm only 23 years old, and have never had much of a social life because of this, except when friends have literally dragged me out on the town. I don't want to do the percocet or the alcohol thing either, especially since I have a history of addiction in my family. But sometimes, I just want to be normal and not freak out and avoid having intimate friendships and romantic relationships. I'm hoping it'll get better though. Thanks again for the quick reply!

Closed Thread