It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

tryingtorelax HB User
Can mild anxiety cause health problems?

I believe I have suffered from anxiety all my life but was never diagnosed or medicated. I have good days, but I often worry a lot about things most people don't even think about. I am thinking that it's finally catching up with me and wreaking havoc on my body. I don't have panic attacks, I just feel uneasy and unstable at times. I am a stay at home Mom to a little girl that I love dearly but I think my worrying about her and stressing about being a good Mom has caused problems as this all started when she was 3 years old. My not working and husband not liking his job makes me feel guilty. I am going back to work part-time this year, maybe that will help.

I had a vertigo "attack" in Feb 09 and went to ER. Had some fluid in ear but no infection. Upon follow up with GP I finally asked for something to control anxiety "as needed". He prescribed Xanax .25 mg. I took every now and then. A few months later a friend passed away and I took it very hard - 3 weeks later I went to the ER with severe abdomenal pain. That took 6 months to go away and I still get the pain every now and then. I had all kinds of tests which showed nothing - I was told it was spastic colon and the Xanax would help. Now I have been dealing with acid reflux and mild nagging chest pain in the lower part of my chest off and on for 5 months - had upper GI and heart tests which showed nothing - At times last year I took 2/3 Xanax a day and I take 1/2-1 at times when I need it now. I am trying to control anxiety without the pills. I don't want to take the Paxil my GP gave me. During all this I also went in for a skin cancer screening, they found a mole which was abnormal during biopsy and I had more removed - that scared me.

Can anxiety cause vertigo, severe abdomenal pain, chest pain, reflux, palpitations, etc? Or is it just a coincidence that I have suffered from so many health problems when my anxiety seemed to get worse? The reflux and chest pain started at the same time I was planning my daughter's birthday party - who gets anxious about that for crying out loud? It's so embarassing but I would love to chat with people who can relate. I don't want to take prescriptions but I'm open to homeopathic remedies. I started taking yoga 5 months ago and I love it, but I only go once a week.

Last edited by tryingtorelax; 07-14-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Can mild anxiety cause health problems?

Anxiety can cause so many health problems. Even when you think you are just fine, it can cause you health problems like the acid reflux, etc.. Yoga is a good way to start, but one day a week probably is not enough. Maybe you can do it at home on your own, everyday. I started working out at the gym everyday to ease stress in my life, it really does help. I have a son that is so full of anxiety, he can't get rid pf it. There is an herb called lemon balm, perhaps you can look it up to see how you can use it, it relieves anxiety.

Sunny

Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Re: Can mild anxiety cause health problems?

Anxiety most definetely causes symptoms of illnessess.

Gastric disturbances are most common. I get those and i also get palps, chest pains, and dizzyness too. Not fair really that not only do we have to put up with psycological illness but real illness symptoms too.

Closed Thread