It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

KD86 HB User
I Think I Need To Ask For Help

I think I may need some help with my anxiety, but I am afraid that I might seem like I am overreacting; and I am afraid of actually asking for help.

I seem to be worrying about stuff more than usual. My mind seems to be racing whenver it has a free moment. I have been trying to keep it occupied with reading the massive amounts of books I have and catching up on episodes of a television show I just got in to, but you can't do that all day every day. There is a lot going on in my life that I could write out here, but you would be reading for hours.

My stomach has been acting really funky lately. It feels like its churning and I get the feeling in my throat like I want to throw up. At times I get cramp like pain. I thought it was my diet, but even after changing it I am still have the stomach problems.

As long as I am not thinking about stuff during the night I can sleep. If I even think about a small thing for a second I find myself up for hours dwelling on it. I also think I might be waking up numerous times during the night, but going right back to sleep. I don't feel as rested when I wake up in the morning.

Sometimes when my mind is racing I get unable to sit still. Its like I need to get up and run a mile or something.

I am probably overreacting and that is making it worse. Does this sound like an issue to anyone else, but me? If so, I am really nervous about talking to someone. How would I ask for help?

Thanks!
KD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
(female)

Impatient1 HB User
Re: I Think I Need To Ask For Help

Hi, KD! I think you know what you need to do based on the title of this thread. Believe me, I know what you are going through. I've had issues with anxiety for years but never talked to anyone about it. In December, I had gallbladder surgery and that caused my anxiety to go crazy. I couldn't sleep well, was having terrible dreams, inability to concentrate, stomach issues, and problems with acid reflux.

What I did was go to my primary care doctor and told him about the anxiety I was experiencing. I was so nervous, scared, and thought he would just tell me I was being ridiculous. I was totally wrong, he was really supportive and understanding. Now, I'm taking Lexapro and speaking with a counselor on an almost weekly basis. Things still aren't where I want them to be but I am feeling a lot better. You may just need to deal with whatever issues are causing your anxiety and speaking with a therapist may help that. There's also medication or a combination of both like I'm doing.

I know for me, just having people to talk to on message boards such as this one, really helped a lot. Basically everyone here has been through or are going through the same things that you are dealing with. Don't be nervous or scared to go to your doctor, he/she is there to help. If I could find the courage to go, I know you can as well. If you need anyone to talk to, I'm here to listen. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-20-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 07-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
(female)

KD86 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I actually went to the doctor today and was given Lexapro samples. I am a little nervous about taking it though. My doctor also suggested talking to a counselor, but I have to see if my insurance will cover it.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
(female)

Impatient1 HB User

Awesome! I'm so glad you went. You are on the path to feeling better, I'm sure of it. Congrats! That was the hardest part for me, getting up the courage to talk to my doctor.

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-20-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread