It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User
Are there any anxiety meds that I could be prescribed for temporary use?

Hey everyone. Are there any anxiety medicines that I could ask my psychiatrist about that he might prescribe me to take when I get excessively paranoid or anxious and panicky? I have trazodone that I can but as far as I know, it is for insomnia and not paranoia. Any ideas?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
(male)

damone HB User
Re: Are there any anxiety meds that I could be prescribed for temporary use?

If your psychiatrist is anything like mine, he'll just tell you to take 2 of whatever it is you have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

Yeah mine told me that if I can't sleep 1 hour after I have taken the trazodone to then take another. Thankfully, I have never had to do that.

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-21-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
(male)

damone HB User

I hate to say this, but psychiatrists generally don't seem overly concerned about the patients. It's the therapists that do. I went to my psychiatrist telling him about some vacation plans I have and how I was worried that I would run out of my meds. He basically just told me to go to another pharmacy if mine wouldn't let me buy extra.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
(female)

Wow. That is weird. Most of the time a pharmacy will not let you get more meds than what is prescribed.

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-21-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 07-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
(female)

dcs316 HB Userdcs316 HB User

I don't know if it helps paranoia or not, but I find Ativan to be very effective for when my anxiety gets very bad. You're not supposed to take it regularly -- and I don't -- but it helps tremendously when I'm feeling like the anxiety has taken over. It also helps me sleep if the worrying is keeping me up at night. So you may want to give it a try.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwgirl View Post
Hey everyone. Are there any anxiety medicines that I could ask my psychiatrist about that he might prescribe me to take when I get excessively paranoid or anxious and panicky? I have trazodone that I can but as far as I know, it is for insomnia and not paranoia. Any ideas?
Of course there is. Xanax or Valium are both fast acting anti-anxiety meds. There's other drugs, also, in the benzodiazepine category you could take. You aren't supposed to take that class of drugs regularly (due to potential addiction) but only during acute attacks so it seems to be exactly what you are looking for. I take Valium to fly, which is my biggest panic attack trigger.

Closed Thread