It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User
Lexapro & weight gain/loss?

Has anyone on this board gained weight when taking Lexapro and then gone off it or decreased their dosage and successfully lost the weight?

I've gained almost 20 lbs in a year from this stuff.

Is there any antidepressant for anxiety that "does not" cause weight gain.

I'm really upset that my doctor did not warn me about this. I've just learned this is the cause of my weight gain.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Lexapro & weight gain/loss?

btw I take 10mg per day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've been reading about L Tryptophan and how it will cause your body to make it's own seratonin. Essentially, that is what Lexapro does. It's a seratonin re-uptake drug. I think I'm going to wean off this drug and start on this natural approach by taking the tryptophan and eating foods high in it like turkey, eggs etc.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User

I am sorry to say that for many, the weight gain doesn't stop. You may just keep slowly gaining weight for as long as you're on it. I believe you have to choose between finding another medication that works and doesn't cause weight gain for you or accept the weight gain.

If you have more anxiety than depression, perhaps ask to try low-dose Xanax or something similar, or a different SSRI.

The first time I took Lexapro (10 mg/day), I gained weight but lost it without effort within a few years of stopping it. The second time I took it (10 months or so each time,) I gained 9-ish pounds I've never lost (despite healthier eating and being more active.) However, I've never made a serious effort to lost weight, so maybe it is possible to lose. (I still eat some "junk food" sometimes. I'm not willing to give it up completely.)

Good luck-- I know how stressful and hurtful gaining weight can be.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
(female)

Impatient1 HB User

I've only been on Lexapro for a month now, 10 mg, and so far I haven't gained any weight - in fact, I've dropped 3 lbs. It concerns me when I read about people that have put on weight while taking this medication. I've worked extremely hard to lose weight over the past year or so - 60 lbs since June last year, yay!

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-27-2010 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Removed part of post not in response to the thread starter. Ms_Mod

Old 07-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had gone on the South Beach and lost about 20 lbs. After being put on Lexapro I've gain it all back and have not made any significant changes in my diet.

I've been on 2 other forums that are only about Lexapro and there are literally hundreds of comments from people who have gained weight from the drug. It seems that the average weight gain is between 15 and 25 pounds although I read several that were as high as 45 to 60.

I've gone off of it for and am taking 5-HPT. Please read up on that as a natural alternative that will do the same thing as any antidepressant. I can tell a big difference.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Barbara, I want to give this a shot..............I am sick of the lexapro not working to it full potential.............on it now for two months and @ 20mgs........and want to eat later in the evening........not normal.

Please advise.

Thank you...........I am ready to start this winging off and starting the 5htp after all the benefits I have read...........How much did you start out at, and do you take it at night or in the AM? When did you start to feel the benefits?

God Bless Angel.

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-28-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary information. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread