It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
(male)

BC10 HB User
Flying for the first time in 20 years.

My friend is getting married in 2 weeks and the best man, unbeknownst to the rest of us, booked us each a flight to Boston, MA to hang out for the weekend for the bachelor party. Most of the guys going are military and fly overseas very regularly so it is nothing for them. I have only been on a plane twice in my life, in the 2nd grade, roughly 20 years ago. I don't know if I'm really afraid to fly, or just uneasy because I have almost no experience with it. I'm just not sure how I'll feel once I board. I've found myself within the past year having mild anxiety attacks when I'm stuck in gridlock traffic where I'm surrounded by cars not moving, and have no idea when I'll be able to get out. Even sometimes taking a long trip with my friends, if I didnt drive, I'd have a feeling of minor anxiety because I'd think, I have no control over where I go because I dont have my car here.

I first realized this last winter on a ski trip. I went a few times on the ski lift (about a 20 minute ride) but all the sudden one day I skipped going because I got some anxiety thinking about being stuck up there with no control over where I go. I couldn't get out if I wanted to. At least in a car I could pull over if something happend or I started not to feel well.

So I'm really worried about this flight. Sitting there, no control over anything, on top of basically never flying before. ( i was really too young to think about it last time) I really don't know what to do. Sometimes I'm really nervous, and others I calm down becuase I'll be with my friends who are so used to it. I just dont want to sit there strapped in just before take off and get that "oh crap get me off this plane" feeling.

Does anyone have any relaxation tips for flying or sleep medicine I could take, or maybe just some flying tips period? I would really appreciate it. The flights are only a few hours but I'd rather talk it out with a few people to hopefully ease my nerves. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
(male)

dave cummings HB User
Re: Flying for the first time in 20 years.

hi,
I was the same, really i was I wouldnt fly, but I split up with my finacee, aka the girl of my dreams, and i was so down, to the point I tried to end it all. My friend who lives in italy found out, and came over the next day, by the time i had sobered up and woken up she was here, she gave me a right talking to.
But anyway she showed me an email that i sent her promising if i ever split up with Kathryn I would go over, she went back that day leaving me to book the plane, I flew with Ryanair, one of the cheap airlines, I was shaking head to foot.
I got on the plane got my book out and pretended I was on a bus, albeit a faster one and you know what, I loved it.
You have a goal to get to - a hell of a party, get on that plane and sit back, and enjoy not being in control.
I wouldnt take any pills etc, maybe ONE beer before the flight but no more, the main thing is to have a distraction, like a magazine, good book or if you have one a playstation portable (if you havent this is the perfect chance to get one)!

I hope that helps!
d

Closed Thread