It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

tekk HB User
How to you go about getting help?

Hi - I'm new and was hoping to get some suggestions for a plan of action.

I have never been treated....and actually don't even have a regular doctor. I don't have any physical health issues except maybe the occasional sinus infection and I just don't go to the doctor unless my symtoms are unbearable.

That said....my (what I believe is...I'm no doctor) social anxiety is killing me. I read a post from another memeber that described the worste symptom...which is my brain shutting down in social situations. I feel like and appear to be a complete idiot...and can never think of anything to contribute to conversations because of the constant and severe fear of saying something stupid or being judged. I also get sweaty palms, and shortness of breath and it feels like my heart will beat a hole in my chest. Another annoying thing....on the rare occasion I do get up the nerve to talk...and see all eyes on me, I panic and turn red (I can actually feel my face getting hot, as if I lost the top of my bathing suite or something) and lose my train of thought...forgetting the point I was trying to make.

I've always been "shy" .....ever since I can remember. When I drink alcohol I'm a different person. I can talk and laugh and have a blast with other people. Without it though....I'm a total bore, and convinced that everyone hates me...which makes me, literally, painfully sad.

What's the protocol for getting help for this? Do I go to a MD and get a referral to someone who can help...I just don't know where to start. I have to do something because I have no friends....I find it completely impossible to connect with other people in any significant way. I know I can keep on breathing and live this way....but I don't want to. Not having any close friends is agonizing. It's something I need in my life and I just can't seem to be a person people are interested in spending time around for some reason. I'm not crazy about the idea of taking pills, but at this point, I just have to do something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread