It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

mamamac HB User
Question choosing right anxiety medication??

Hi there, i am new here and have been struggling with depression and anxiety for about 6 or 7 years now. I feel my anxiety is the biggest problem, and it makes me depressed therefore i dont feel like being on an anti depressant. I have been on plenty of them and recently have started paxil and had a bad experience for the first 2 weeks with it, i felt very tired and i got very depressed(not sure if it was a coincidence or not). Some days i feel fine and others i feel like people dont like me, i believe my anxiety is a social anxiety, just when it comes to socializing and interacting with others, if i dont know the people and need to interact i will be okay for some time just being quiet, then i will start to panic, sweating shaking crying etc. As a student this really affects me in class, everyday i feel different about my fellow students, i have a very big problem making friends I dont want to be stuck on an anti depressant drug but i also dont want to get addicted to a anti anxiety drug. i had very bad experiences with prozac and effexor. I stopped taking my paxil until i feel ready or if even will.... Just looking for advise suggestions, medication information, anything helps Thank you

Old 08-26-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
(male)

Vuk HB User
Re: choosing right anxiety medication??

1) Psychotherapy
2) Antidepressants are anti anxiety meds as well. Benzos are temporary solution until antidepressants start working but I would avoid benzos.
3) Ask your doctor about celexa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
(male)

Bradleyx HB User

Hi there--I'm new to this board, but I've had issues with anxiety and panic (undiagnosed until 12 years ago) my whole life.

Paxil was the first medication I was on. I would have to say that it saved my life, although it took a few weeks for me to feel the full effects. Over time, I realized that it made me feel a bit too doped up and unemotional, so I ended up on Celexa.

Like you, I didn't want to be on antidepressants, and I looked for opportunities to come off of them. I'm sad to say that, when I did come off them, I would have crippling anxiety attacks that would land me back on meds. I've decided that I just need to be on them and get used to the idea.

I've found that most meds have been pretty successful in controlling my anxiety, although some have more noticeable side effects than others. I found Lexapro to be the most effective medication for me. It's had few side effects. I take a pill every morning and feel "normal."

I encourage you to find a psychiatrist who is responsive and is willing to go through this with you. It can be difficult, because like other doctors, they can get very busy. I'm also in psychotherapy, which has helped me to understand what triggers my anxiety. I can't say that it's helped me control the spiral when I've been off meds, but it helps to have a place to unburden myself every week.

Please know that you're not alone.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
(male)

Archimedis HB User

Have you tried any Cognitive Behavioural Therapy?

Closed Thread