It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

minnow18 HB User
night time panic attacks now in day too

hello,

i am in my early 20s, just moved to a new city <edit> and recently began experiencing the symptoms of a panic attack that wakes me up from sleep. this started a month ago. i went out drinking with friends and the next day when i was taking a nap i was awoken by a strange panic sensation. i didnt know what was wrong but i knew i didnt feel right. i noticed my heart felt like it was beating too slow, then as soon as i realized this, it began beating really fast.

after this incident for the next two weeks they were happening every other night. i would go to sleep at 11 and wake up at 1230-1am nauseous, racing heart, pounding heart sensation, shaking, shortness of breath, sweating palms and feet, and a feeling of terror that my heart was just going to stop or spasm or something and that i was going to die. since then they have become less frequent, occurring twice a week but still terrifying and have also started to happen during the day.

for instance, last night i went to bed at 11. was woken up at 1am with my mind racing, although i cant even remember about what. my heart was racing and i told myself this was a panic attack and that i was fine but no matter how much i told myself this, it kept escalating until i felt like i couldnt breathe. i sat in front of a fan with the tv on and sipped water, making several trips to the bathroom because i felt so nauseous but never actually throwing up. finally i fell asleep at 330am and had to be up for an exam at 6am. now today i still feel off. my chest feels like i hit my funny bone, i am shaking, no appetite. thats another thing, i use to looove food. now, its a chore to eat. i have no appetite. this "day after" feeling is just as bad as the attack itself! i feel like im constantly on the verge of an attack and need to battle it the entire day to not have a full blown attack. its torture.

i went to the doctor, who i had recently seen for a heart palpitation feeling (which he told me was common and sent me home), and he gave me a heart monitor. he said the results showed increased rate but nothing bad. again, he sent me home. i asked him if it was a panic attack and he said no because it was happening while i was sleeping.

im pretty positive these are panic attacks because my family has a history of anxiety problems and the symptoms couldnt match up any better. this is so frustrating. everyone keeps telling me "youre fine, panic attacks cant hurt you" but i cant begin to explain how debilitating and terrifying they are. its now starting to interfere with my studying and the demands of school.

i was diagnosed with vaso vagal syncope about 5 years ago and take midodrine and lopressor. but these are the only meds i am on. any suggestions on what this might be or how to overcome it? thank you

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-02-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Removed posting rules violation. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: night time panic attacks now in day too

I wonder if you suffer from night terrors? From what I've read, you wouldn't remember it.

Panic attacks can be self-perpetuating. I suffer from debilitating panic attacks, and if I dwell on them or expect one, I will have one. Stress will bring them on, new situations will bring them on. If you're stressed about your nighttime panic attacks, then that stress could be triggering daytime panic attacks.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
(female)

minnow18 HB User

thank you. i did a quick little bit of research and i dont know if it is a night terror, because it seems to happen more in children. i think im still leaning towards nocturnal panic attacks but i am definitely going to bring it up to my primary care physician. thank you again!

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-03-2010 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 09-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

minnow18 HB User

has anyone else experienced similar symptoms?

Last edited by minnow18; 09-03-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Closed Thread