It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
(female)

Selenium HB User
ongoing anxiety causing symptoms? chronic muscle tension

Hi everyone,

Nearly 3 months ago as I was visiting my sister at the hospital I started to feel faint, dizzy and nauseous and I had to sit down, almost instantly I felt a heaviness come over me and immense pressure and tightness in my head. I've been feeling this tightness in my head basically 24/7, I wake up with it and go to bed with it.

I'd get constant palpitations, fatigue, occasional shakiness, numbness tingling of extremities. I got really worried because I'm only 20 years old, thought I had some neurological problem. Had a CT scan and MRI done and the neurologist said everything was fine. Went to an ENT who said it wasn't sinus problems. I had a blood test which found that I was severely anemic, had to have iron injections every week for 6 weeks and when this wasn't enough I had to got to the hospital to get an iron infussion. Now that it's been more the 2 months since I've been receiving treatment for my iron deficiency and my iron levels have improved massively although I'm not so fatigued anymore I still have the constant muscle tightness in my head(not as bad as it was initially 3 months ago but it's still extremely annoying) and maybe even TMJ(have odd facial tenderness) and I sometimes have a weird feeling in my upper back teeth immense pressure, I thought it might be wisdom teeth so I went to the dentist who took an x-ray to find that I didn't even have wisdom teeth up there! He said I might be grinding my teeth, although I don't think I do...

I thought treating my anemia would solve the problem but I found that during this period I became extremely anxious to the point where I had my first ever panic attack, couldn't breathe thought my heart would explode.. I'd constantly be worrying about my symptoms and whether I would ever get better again. My hands are constantly shaky and I find that thinking about the pressure in my head makes it even worse, I just keep thinking I have some serious problem in my brain. I find it impossible to relax, at first I thought it was anemia causing this but now I feel that anxiety has taken over. The thing is I never used to be like this, I was the most relaxed easy-going person you'd see...I've gone to a physiotherapist a few times which gave me temporary relief only, he says my muscles are quite tense..

My doctor wanted to put me on anti-depressants but I don't want to start on those..not just yet. I'm trying St John's Wort at the moment as a natural alternative and hope it will help me stabilize my anxiety and symptoms. My doctor is reluctant to give me a prescription for xanax but I'm aware of it's addictive nature and I think it would be a comfort thing just to know that it's there for emergencies, not everyday use.

Sometimes I don't know if it really is anxiety that is causing these problems..

I wonder if muscle relaxants would help with muscle tightness, tension-type headaches? Has anyone else tried St John's Wort, does it work? Does xanax relieve muscle tightness/tension-pressure headaches?

Last edited by Selenium; 11-03-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
(female)

momofthree2010 HB User
Re: ongoing anxiety causing symptoms? chronic muscle tension

Just saw your post and it sounds alot like me. I have daily muscle tension from upper back all the way to my head. It creates some very weird sensations. I tried muscle relaxers but didn't like the sleepiness they caused. I use a heating pad everyday, sometimes it helps. I am constantly stretching to try and loosen up those muscles. I also take magnesium that seems to help a little. I hope you find relief soon.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
(female)

Selenium HB User
Re: ongoing anxiety causing symptoms? chronic muscle tension

Thank-you for the reply.
I bought some magnesium supplements I think I'll give them a try and see how I go. I went for a massage yesterday and that seemed to make the tension worse, but afterwards the next day it seemed to help a little. Stretching is a good idea, I should do that more often. I hope you find relief soon too, it's such an annoyance having to put up with this everyday but I feel that with time and positive thinking this will all go away.

Closed Thread