It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
(male)

Jack-77 HB User
Zoloft

Hello all, i went to the doctor about a week ago because i had been feeling different. I would wake up in the mornings and the first thing i would eat would give me hypoglycemia symptoms. I later found out that it was Early Morning Anxiety.

All my tests came back perfect. I had other various symptoms like cold feet, no energy. That sort of thing. She prescribed me zoloft because she said it was all due to stress. It has been sitting in my kitchen ever since she prescribed it. I just can't bring myself to take it. I read all the side effects and i don't really want to take something that is gonna give me horrible nightmares and possibly make my anxiety worse.

Lately I feel like the anxiety symptoms are taking more of a mental route. Last night i had a little bit of trouble sleeping. I would start to fall asleep and i would wake up and my whole body felt like it was asleep but my mind wasn't. And then i would fully wake and move my body and it went away. And it was like something was jolting my awake in my mind. I wouldn't jump or anything but my mind felt weird when i would start to fall asleep along with that body sensation i was talking about. I have had these symptoms before back in high school when i was highly stressed but they eventually went away.

I really want something to make all this go away. I never ever have trouble sleeping. Oh and another thing when i would fall asleep and feel those sensations in my mind and body i would always take a deep breath when i woke up. It's weird and i don't like it. Sometimes i would be half awake and even be disoriented for about 2 seconds and not know where i was! Lol it was like my mind wasn't fully there when i woke up. I just want some testimonies from some people that use zoloft because i want these symptoms to go away. Thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 11-16-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
(female)

ucgurll HB User
Re: Zoloft

I have been taking zoloft for 20 yrs off and on but steadily for the last 8 years. The only side effects that i got from taking zoloft in the first month were bouts of having diarrhea and weight gain, as the dose was increased i had more weight gain and have gained a total of 80 lbs since staying on it steadily. I asked my dr. if i could lower the dose because i want to see if i could get off of it and she said i should still take it as it is not just for depression but anxiety as well. when i began taking it i was clinically depressed at the age of 12. over the years my anxiety has increased and sometimes i truely think its from the zoloft. i have decreased my dose from 175mg to 150mg and when i did this i started having severe heart palpitations that i felt all day/night it would wake me in my sleep and my dr said it was due to me reducing the zoloft. i have asked her several times if there was any risk for taking it for so long and she tells me no but i have noticed the weight gain, high cholesterol, fatty liver, (all on blood work). i would get a second opinion as to if you are truely depressed or have anxiety/panic disorder. just from reading your symptoms it kinda sounds like you may have sleep apnea and that can cause you to stop breating in your sleep which would cause you to wake up gasping for air and feeling out of sorts due to the lack of oxygen to the brain, not to mention if you have sleep apnea you are getting interupted sleep which can make you jittery and nervous through out the day feeling anxious and out of sorts. I suggest you get a second opinion before starting a medicine that is hard to stop taking if you really dont need it. I am NOT a Dr but have obviously had experience with this medication. I often wish i had either never started zoloft or wish i had started to wing myself off of it when i felt i was no longer depressed. i have heard and read that if it is for depression than it should not be takin any longer than 2 yrs. one more thing do not take this medication at bedtime. my dr. perscribed it to me at bedtime and if i dont get to bed within 45 min of taking zoloft i toss and turn all night leaving me grogy in the morning for lack of sleep. I just recently was told by a psychiatrist that this medicine should NEVER be taken at bedtime for the previous reasons. I am currently looking for a new primary dr as i have had several problems with the one i have had so again if you think you are depressed or suffer from anxiety see a psychiatrist or psychologist as they are the ones who should be able to tell you if they think you need it and how much since they are better at diagnosing mental health problems. I hope this helps and please remember that every body is different, what works for one may not work for someone else as our dna is different. zoloft happened to work best for me with less side effects compared to paxil, prozac, wellbutrin etc. good luck

Old 11-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
(male)

Jack-77 HB User

I've actually considered sleep apnea and suggested it to my family and they all said they knew i didn't have it and that they have heard me sleep. I don't really think i have sleep apnea to be honest. I'm not sleepy during the day unless I don't get sleep and i always get sleep. I never have trouble sleeping. It's only when I'm stressed. And the deep breath when i come to is just me freaking out from the feelings I get. And I only do this when I'm stressed. It's like my mind is telling me not to fall asleep right when I'm about to fall asleep. And it jolts me awake. But I don't jump or anything. Thank you for informing me about this medicine. To me it sounds awful and I don't believe I'm going to start taking it. I sometimes have heart palpitations from anxiety. My heart feels like it skips a beat, and i know how horrifying and scary it is. And when it scares you it makes you lightheaded and dizzy and you begin to think your heart is going to stop.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
(male)

Jack-77 HB User

Oh and I forgot to mention that I rarely ever have trouble sleeping like this. It only does it when I'm very stressed. I think if i has sleep apnea I would barely get any sleep regardless of my emotions. I've read stories about people with sleep apnea when i thought it might be it and they get about 2 to 3 hours of sleep a night.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
(female)

ivorysunsets HB User

I asked for Zoloft to manage increased depression related to PMS, with the hopes that it would also reduce my anxiety. I take 50mg and have not had any major problems or side effects with it these past 3 months. (I think I was nauseated and anxious for the first couple days, but that went away quickly). I notice that, after taking it for about a month, my social anxiety decreased and I went through a pretty stressful time without any major bouts of anxiety and I think that is thanks to the Zoloft. I do sleep more on this medication - I used to only sleep 4 hours per night but this stuff forces me to sleep 8 because I can't stay awake past midnight anymore. The dr. warned me of increased appetite and weight gain, but I haven't had that.

Last edited by ivorysunsets; 11-19-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I understand your fears about antidepressants, because I share them. When I was 20 (I am now 37) I was prescribed Zoloft for anxiety as well. I was one of the 1% that has a reaction to it- and I reacted badly. I'll leave it at that, because I don't want to scare you, but I had a terrible reaction to Zoloft. It's not the right drug for everyone.

I have been practicing natural techniques for many years to control my anxiety and stress. I use a combination of exercise, prayer, yoga, acupuncture, massage, hypnosis, breathing exercises. Other things you might try are meditation and journaling.

If your symptoms are strictly anxiety, there are other drugs out there you could consider, and there are natural treatments. My personal opinion is that antidepressants should be reserved for people that are clinically depressed but I know I'm biased because I wish that I had never been prescribed an antidepressant for my anxiety, as the side effects were so bad and left me with a permanent fear of prescription meds.

Closed Thread