It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
Lexapro for anxiety... My daily experience with it.

I'm on my 3rd day of lexapro, 5mg for anxiety. I've not had issues with this for ages but it's back now and got pretty bad recently so I got help from my dr. He prescribed Lexapro & Lorazapam. I took the lorazapam the 1st 2 nights and slept GREAT, woke feeling great too, had no anxiety through the day AT ALL. Mine seems to be worse in mornings. I also have a thyroid issue which is what my dr thinks may be behind my having anxiety now and I'll be working with another doctor to deal with that in the coming weeks.

day 1, no side effects except for a couple urges to puke... were over quick though and i didn't puke.

day 2, I noticed I was not thinking about negative things... possibly placebo effect since so early on. 3 hours after taking it, i got a little sleepy/drowsy that lasted for about 4 -1/2 hours then completely went away and I felt normal, pretty good.

day 3, took it at 2 PM. 3 hours and 26 minutes later, I started to feel tired, muscles felt a little weird, kind of a mild burning/fatigued feeling. I layed down and it got a little more intense. I got up and did things around the house and though I was tired the weird muscle feelings went away. As long as I stayed up doing things it was vague aside from feeling sleepy and mildly dizzy off and on. I also had the urge the puke again a few times but this doesn't seem to be a problem cause it lasted only a few seconds each time. Overall the feelings today were worse than yesterday but all passed after about 3 - 1/2 hours, including the sleepiness. As for anxiety, I did have some this morning but it was short lived. I did not take the lorazapam at bed as I had been doing the first 2 days. It's 11:23PM right now and I don't feel bad, don't feel great... No big aha moment as of yet. I think I'll skip the lorazapam again tonight and see what happens in the morning. If I wake with anxiety again, I'll take it the next night and see if I wake feeling ok.

Last edited by t_411; 01-18-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Lexapro for anxiety... My daily experience with it.

day 4. I did wake this morning with some mild anxiety & took .25mg lorazapam and went back to sleep for a bit then woke not having it.
I'm going to take lexapro a little later tonight so the whole sleepy spell hits AFTER I'm asleep. We'll see what happens.... Hope it goes better than yesterday.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
(male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User

Do you have constant problem sleeping or staying asleep at night? I had the exact same problem and started using Restoril. Its in the same family at Ativan and Klonopin (benzodiazepine), except it has a longer lasting effect 8 to 10 hours.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-19-2011 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've had off and on issues with being able to fall asleep for a long time now.

Tonight is the first time I've taken lexapro at night though so we'll see if it keeps me up or not. I plan to sleep at midnight. I took the lexapro at 11PM and the weird feelings and sleepiness so far has not kicked in till about 3 hours after taking it so that will be around 2AM. I hope I sleep through it and it's good and over by the time I wake.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-19-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Day 5. Last night I took lexapro 5mg around 11PM. I couldn't fall asleep till about 2AM. I didn't notice any feelings of the side effects. I slept pretty good but woke around 8:30AM and had anxiety for just a few minutes this time and it went away so that was great. It's 1:23PM and so far I'm feeling normal, no moodiness, no anxiety, no high or low energy, just normal and level all around so maybe this med is going to help after all. Still a little early to tell but we'll see.............

One thing's for sure... Taking it at night a couple hours before bed, for me, was way better than taking it in the day because I didn't feel any side effects as I had doing it in the day.

The Following User Says Thank You to t_411 For This Useful Post:
bprapcyc (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
(male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User

Very cool. Sounds like you may have found the right timing for your medication. Keep a diary of the situation. With some trending, you may be able to find the right mix and timing of the medication.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

one thing i forgot to mention..... i did sweat a bit last night and today. i read that can be a temp side effect of lexapro. so far it's not been a constant thing. just off and on.

On the up side of things... Today, I noticed that as the day went on, I was more patient with everyone and everything, handled things more calmly, with ease emotionally. Didn't seem to be bothered or nervy over stress and have enjoyed my interactions with family more. Caught myself smiling a bit more.

I have a toddler that's going through the temper tantrum faze. Before today, it would make me feel a bit stressed and I'd get a little bit of chest pain, you know when you're sitting there and say, something loud falls or someone screams in your face, how you get a bit of shock, or feel jumpy for a second or two when you're an anxious person and we get a bit fixated on the physical symptoms then they escalate into anxiety... Tonight, it didn't happen at all. I was as cool as a cucumber. So far I still have a normal range of emotions... Just more "normal" ranther than all over the place and anxious.

Speaking of anxious.... Aside from a few minutes this morning when I woke, I have not felt anxious one bit today.

I'll be taking lexapro tonight at 10:30PM instead of 11:00PM to see if maybe that'll help as far as giving a little bit more time for side effects to wear off before I wake.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and to see how I feel............

The following user gives a hug of support to t_411:
bprapcyc (01-19-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Day 6. What a morning... I woke expecting to have anxiety as I have for the last nearly 3 weeks straight and there was none at all. It never came. I woke around 8AM, layed there for 1/2 hour just knowing it was coming.... but it didn't.... Not even a slightly rapid heart beat... nada. I have not taken lorazapam for I think, what, 2 days now? Can't remember but I think 2 days so it has nothing to do with the benzo for sure. I got up, made food, ate, fed my son and then my aunt came over to keep an eye on my son for me for a few hours so I can get some things I need to do done.

There's been a few things trying to test my nerves this morning and I've been patient, got through it, no biggie. Like the internet was down... I've been on the phone with the company, plugging and unplugging things for the last hour. This usually annoys and stresses me out. Today, I'd give it a 1 on a scale of 1 - 10 and that was only near the end of a long hour. Big progress for me.

I didn't wake sweaty as I did the night before. Have felt no side effects so far today. It's 10:07AM.

It's too early to tell how the rest of my day will go. I'll write more later tonight before bed.... So far, so good.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

The end of day 6.

Around noon I got a little tired, yawning a lot... probably from only getting 5 hours of sleep last night. I slept a couple hours around 5pm and had a terrible nightmare.

It was so vivid, I thought I was awake in the dream, my mouth was very dry, I lost my voice but was trying to scream for my husband but only a whisper would come out, was twisted up in the sheets, couldn't get up, the lights wouldn't turn on, my cell phone died as I was dialing my husband who I could hear with my son in the other room and then I acutally did wake up and was fine in the exact spot I just dreamed all the above. What a WEIRD dream. It took me a minute after I woke to figure out it was just a dream because it was so real to me. Scared me enough to almost say -forget this lexapro crap!! But after I got up, I was over it although I was a little uneasy taking my lexapro tonight at 11pm due to possible bad vivid dreams like that.

Other than the very vivid nightmare, I was a litle tired today, no sweating as before. I had a GREAT morning but after noon was just nothing to brag about. No anxiety at all today, no obsessing/worry/etc... My mind and thoughts have been level and ok today as well as no anxious body sensations.

Guess I'm another day closer to finding out if this is the one for me or not.

We'll see..........

Old 01-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
(male)

That sounds like a "night terror" Remember to keep documenting this and go over it with your doctor.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-21-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

bp, I'll read into the night terror thing...

Day 7. Took me a long time to fall asleep lastnight but I did sleep pretty good once I did and I slept in a bit to get a full 8 hours. No nightmares.

Once again, I did not wake having even the slightest bit of anxiety which is great.. So far today, I've been patient in situations that would normally kind of stress me out. Not worrying about things. More focused and enjoying the moment I'm in. No what if thoughts or negative self talk taking over.
I am sweating a little again today which I normally don't do unless working out or something physical to make me sweat so it must be a side effect of lexapro.
I am feeling a little indifferent today even though it's been a decent day so far. I think it's time for me to get out of the house and do something fun. What, I have no idea since there is snow outside but I'll figure something out. I'm kind of feeling cooped up I guess but lacking the motivation to get out due to cold weather..........

Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

End of day 7.
Well I never had a chance to get out of the house as I had mentioned I would like to do. Between 3 to 5pm I got very tired/sleepy. It was pretty bad. Made me think if I am going back into a slight hypothyroid faze again cause that's how tired I'd get with it before. In the last year or so, I've had 2 hyper-thyroid spells, the 1st one was followed by a hypo-thyroid spell. I have anti-thyroid antibodies and possible hashimoto thyroiditis so my thyroid is a bit out of whack. I figured my recent onset of hyper-thyroid symptoms were the cause of my anxiety and they probably were but I can't do any synthroid for it till the hyper faze is for sure over.

My dr said thyroid issues make any underlying anxiety issues way worse and blown up emotionally.

Anyway, about lexapro... so today, very tired for a few hours, and a yucky battery like taste on my tongue, a little sweating. I'll be taking 5mg lexapro again tonight at 11pm. I have not needed any benzos at all for a few days now so this is 95% or more gotten rid of my anxiety. I've not had a big wow moment yet though like I hear some do.... They wake up and feel like WOW life is GREATTT... Not yet for me. But life is great I'm just not like overly excited about how great I feel. I feel more on the level, smooth, normal side which is pretty great I guess.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Day 8.
Just want to hop on here for a sec to write about my day.
Last night I took lexapro at 11pm. I could not for the life of me sleep till 4AM and my son woke me at 6:30AM. I stayed up with him till 9AM to let my husband sleep in since he never gets to and then I went back to sleep for 2 more hours.

I did not have any anxiety this morning or at all the entire day. Usually when I have very little sleep like today I can not function AT ALL but I was fine. It's now 10PM and I'm still fine. I was not tired at all today, no sleepy/drowsy spells at all. We went to church at 5pm, then toys r us, then out to eat, then grocery shopping. We're back at home, baby's asleep and me and my husband are relaxing and enjoying our night together.

At this point, I'm sure lexapro is working for me and so far today I have not had any side effects. No sweating, no bitter taste in mouth, no sick stomach, no sleepiness, nothing. I weighed myself today and I have some how lost 4 pounds! I last weighed myself the day I went to the dr to get lexapro for my anxiety.
I feel that emotionally I'm more able to handle pretty much everything so far, I'm not worried in general as I was before, I'm easily able to be more soft spoken, patient, and relaxed with my son, so I for sure feel like a better mom and am enjoying it more. I'm just not anxious, nervous, worried, negative, etc., anymore... well so far anyway. This has been a pretty great day and I'm excited about how I'm feeling & functioning!

I still can't believe lexapro has kicked in so fast. I was on zoloft I think it was about 6 years ago, can't remember exactly... Anyway, it took about 2 whole months before my side effects went away and it never did make me feel this good. I was on it for about 6 months and then another 6 months tapering off.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Day 9.
Again lastnight I had trouble falling asleep.... No side effects today. I forgot to take my pill at 11 tonight, and took it and midnight tonight. I did feel like puking for about an hour this time after taking it but my stomach was empty so maybe that is why. Today was another normal, smooth day. No anxiety.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
(male)

Yeah, I always have to take my meds with food. If I don't, same result as you.

Closed Thread