It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
(male)

italiannyc17 HB User
How much Xanax for my dental visit?

So ive been petrified as a kid of the dentist and tomorrow need to get a deep cleaning. My first work in many many years. Im extremely nervous about it and literally wanna run out when i walk in the office. Ive been prescribed xanax for 2 years now but hardly ever use it because my anxiety is fine on the daily. My script was renewed last month. I have .25 pills

So my question is, how much should i take to be calm there and not have a care in the world about what they do lol. And when should i take it?

I was thinking .5 like 15 mins before i go there? Maybe another .25 when i walk in?

Any ideas?

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-17-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User
Re: How much Xanax for my dental visit?

I think it depends on how it affects you. If I took .25mg, I would be fine. That's what I take if I want to go to bed, and it generally kicks in about a half hour after I take it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

I'm not sure how much you should take - maybe call the doc and ask? Anyway what I really wanted to say was PLEASE make sure you let the dentist know before he does/gives you anything that you have taken the xanax and how much so there are no problems (drug interactions).

By the way, I am also petrified of the dentist and am trying to get my nerve up to go!

Good luck to you!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
(male)

italiannyc17 HB User

Im honestly hoping to fall asleep in the chair lol .. Like im not caring about if theres pain, which there should be. Im caring about just getting in there and being calm in that chair lol .. I mean in reality , even if i took more then i should, it really cant negatively affect me could it? Wouldnt it just put me even more out of it

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-17-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 02-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I too would let your dentist know, and I think the amount you described would be fine. I might take it an hour before hand and then the other one a half hour before. That way you can be calm throughout the whole thing.

By the way, I have always been very fearful of the dentist too, but I had to finally go in when a molar broke in half.

I found that there had been so many improvements in the dental equipment, and I ended up getting extensive dental work done to make up for all those years I was afraid, and boy was I glad I did! I lost my fear of the dentist and now go every six months on the dot without any fear.

When I had the deep cleaning, I was given an injection that deadened the whole area and it was completely pain free. Even the shot was a piece of cake, because they first applied a numbing agent to my gums that made the shot painless too.

I just don't look at the tools or any of it. Wearing headphones and listening to music is also very helpful for me, because the sounds of the dentist office bugged me too.

I bet you will be so happy when you are done, your whole mouth feels so good and your teeth are so clean...it is a great feeling.

Please report back and let us know how you did. Others will read this and gather the confidence to have their dental work done too. It really has changed.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I had a dentist appointment last week and took one 0.25 mgs. before I left the house. As soon as I sat down in the chair, the nervousness took over. The dentist had to build up a molar that broke at the gumline and prepare the tooth for the permanant crown. I'm claustrophobic and when the dentist starting drilling and the assistant was putting her tools into my mouth, I got so anxious and could have passed out. I really freaked out when the dentist put that rubber dental dam in my mouth. So, I need to take more than 0.25 mgs. when I go to the dentist or find a dentist who uses sedation. I feel like a mental midget, but I can't help it. I can hardly wait til my next appt. HA. Hope you find the right dose to take that will relax you at the DDS.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
(male)

italiannyc17 HB User

I went and it was PERFECT. I didnt take .25 .. I took .5 half hour before , then another .25 15 mins later. I didnt have a care in the world. It was beautiful

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-20-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Removed long quote. Ms_Mod

Old 02-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's great. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Me too, I was just thinking about you today, knowing that your appointment had already happened. Thanks for returning to share your positive experience with us. Doesn't it feel great to have gotten through this, and now you have a big reason to smile!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
(male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User

As a side note, something I didn't know about the numbing injections I was receiving: they contain ADRENALINE. I'd go in to have a tooth drilled and just moments have receiving my lidocaine injection, BOOM! Massive panic attack. I thought that I was having anxiety because I knew what was coming next, so I kept it to myself. Well just so happened, my last dental cleaning was 5 weeks ago and the hygienist found a cavity. I blurted out, "great, here comes another panic attack in the dentist chair." She heard me and whipped around saying, "when does this panic start?" So, I told her and she smiles sharing "I bet its the adrenaline in the Lidocaine we give you". So last week, I had my tooth drilled on with Lidocaine containing no adrenaline. No panic!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I never knew that either. Thanks for the info.

Closed Thread