It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
(female)

lilangel2886 HB User
Question Exploring Further Treatment

I'm 25 years old. I was diagnosed with major depression and severe anxiety when I was 12 years old. I have been to countless doctors, including psychiatrists and psychologists. I have been on every medication and I have been on every combination. I'm at a loss and I don't know what step to take next. I have had to switch doctors in the past because I have actually had them say to me that they don't know what else to do for me. My current doctors suggests I get myself admitted to a psych ward. In no way am I against having to go there if that's what's needed. But, in this case, I am not crazy, I don't hurt myself, I don't want to hurt myself. I'm afraid of dying. I don't want to be around people that are like that. It's not going to help me in any way if I'm around people like that. I just have no hope and no desire to do anything. I'm scared of people and basically now adays my own shadow. My anxiety and the fear that comes with it prevents me from functioning. I have been researching electroshock therapy treatments. It gives me hope that maybe I qualify for it and maybe it is something I can actually pursue. I can't just sit back and let this keep going. I need to take action. The therapy that I am going through now, the talking about things with my doctor and the medication isn't doing what it's supposed to. I want to know if this is something that I can do. Will it help with the anxiety as well as the depression?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
(male)

bprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB Userbprapcyc HB User
Re: Exploring Further Treatment

Everyone has this image in their head of what they think a "psych ward" is. There are varying levels of hospitals. Ones that focus on a five day program. You go in, they get you stabilized, attend some group classes and then you're discharged. Another type focuses on longer term care, usually between two weeks to a month. These have more intensive patient programs and therapy. And then, you have Bellevue. This is what everyone thinks of. Long term care (months to possibly years).

If you were to go in to the hospital, it would be voluntary. This means if you don't like it, you can request a discharge at any time. Unless you are homicidal or suicidal, judges will not approve a commitment. Plus, insurance companies will only pay for short term care. During this time period, you are in a controlled environment where the staff and doctors can help you find out what your triggers are, check your health and find out which medications might work for you. I think this is a good option, as I've gone in twice in the past. The second time was extremely helpful and haven't been back into the hospital since (6 years ago).

ECT one of many options that your doctor can use. From the reading I've done, they have gotten much better at performing the procedure that you can have treatment and then leave the hospital 3-4 hours later (if you have someone to take you home and be with you). The biggest side effect I've seen first hand is a bit of short term memory loss. This takes a little while to get over, which is why if you have outpatient you need someone to be with you.

Work with your doctor. You and your insurance pay them the big bucks, let him/her help you.

Last edited by bprapcyc; 04-13-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Closed Thread