It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
(female)

kaley HB User
Terrible pain below breastbone/sternum

Hey all,

Please let me know if any of you have experienced this kind of pain. I was at work and I had some gnawing pain below my sternum. It would go away or lessen is severity if I would stand up and stretch. This lasted for hours yesterday. It felt like a burning pain right behind my breastbone, at times it felt better if I pushed on it or massaged the area. It was causing me a lot of panic. The pain lasted for hours... I was ready to take myself to the ER. I was so worried that I was having a heart attack.. However, I just had a physical the day before, and was in the ER about 2 weeks ago with a full cardiac workup. The more I thought about the pain the worse it became. It was so scary... Does anyone else get a gnawing, burning pain below the breastbone that can last for hours??? Any advice would be appreciated. Could this all be from anxiety???
Modify message

Old 06-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User
Re: Terrible pain below breastbone/sternum

Kaley,

I'm not saying that this is what you have, but a Rheumotologist told me that all these symptoms like yours were something called Costochondritis. You might want to do a search on that. Anyway, I felt like I was having a heart attack. He had me take prednisone, short term and it went away. There is 2 different kinds of Costro.... so be sure you look at both. The pain usually goes away on its own. Just a suggestion. I'm not a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
(female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User
Re: Terrible pain below breastbone/sternum

Unfortunately I am all to familiar with that pain ! For me , it is usually an ulcer. I have to take nexium along with sulcrafate when I have this and within a day I feel much much better. Do you notice that if you fill your tummy a bit it feels better ? That was always a sign for me. My doctor told me between my reflux and anxiety she is not suprised I get ulcers !

Closed Thread