It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

LoriLynn HB User
I'm tired of being scared all the time

I have had anxiety issues for over 13 years now. I have good days and bad days. Lately, they are all bad days. I had a really bad panic attack in which I had to go to the ER. I felt like my throat was swelling shut and the doc told me I had post nasal drip due to allergies. Even though I know my throat isn't swelling shut, it still feels like it is and now I'm too scared to go outside or even open my windows or doors. I feel like My throat is just going to slam shut and I won't be able to breath and that I will die. I'm afraid to eat certain foods because I am afraid I am going to become suddenly allergic to them and I will die if I eat them. I am so tired of being scared all the time. I want to open my windows and enjoy the summer breeze but when I opened them just a little while ago, it felt like my throat was closing and I had a bad panic attack. I need someone to help me.

The following user gives a hug of support to LoriLynn:
agentmermaid (06-26-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
(male)

vinner3000 HB User
Re: I'm tired of being scared all the time

LoriLynn,

experiencing fear because of potential allergic reactions is very common; however, being afraid of going outdoors because of a post nasal drip is silly. If you get sinus infections or have other nasal problems such as congestion or swelling then try using an irrigation bottle with a sea salt mixture. You can also try gargling sea salt to help your post nasal drip. For the irrigation bottle < edited > Look for the one with high ratings.

Silly LoryLynn, do not be afraid of panic attacks. There are millions of people who suffer from panic attacks (I know you probably know this) but no one ever gets harmed from a panic attack. Panic attacks are just uncomfortable FEELINGS with no credibility unless you give it credibility. As I said earlier, it's very common to feel extremely frightened especially with the thought of your throat closing which is potentially fatal is it actually happens. BUT you have to realize that if you KNOW your throat will not close up then there's no reason to have such a phobia. Of course, saying this is easier than it is actually being done but you have to understand that you have anxiety and anxiety is NOT an illness nor is it a disorder. Anxiety is behavioral. Right now your amygdala is too use to being afraid, too use to that fear of your throat closing, too use to thoughts of death. The only way to CURE anxiety is to stop FEEDING your anxiety with more of those types of behavior (being afraid of something harmless, the action of not going outdoors, the action of not eating certain foods). You need to COUNTER the bad behavior with good behavior. If you're too afraid of going out today then just try going out for just 10 minutes. After that, try 20 minutes tomorrow, and then 30 minutes the next. You will realize that it gets easier and easier to do the things you want to do and your anxiety will GRADUALLY subside.

I have a lot more to say but I will leave this for now. If you have questions please feel free to leave a comment. I am here to help. <edit>

Take care.

P.S. anxiety is harmless. It will only cause you stress if you give it credibility. That is all.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-24-2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
(male)

vinner3000 HB User

I too had experienced pretty bad post nasal drip before. You can actually see it if you open your mouth and go "ahh" by looking into a mirror directly at your uvula. Mine wasn't allergy-related so it went away shortly. It is a fairly uncomfortable feeling, I know believe me.

Last edited by vinner3000; 06-24-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
(female)

LoriLynn HB User

Thank you. I actually did go outside today, and even though my throat felt funny, I was fine. I just wish the post nasal drip would go away. LoL

Old 06-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
(female)

miam745 HB User

Although I don't have a nasal drip issue, I totally understand. I have been home for the last four days and every time I go outside my head hurts and feels heavy. I thought I was going to pass out a few time but I pushed through it and nothing happened!

Cheers to the both of us!

Closed Thread