It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

KK82 HB User
Question Questions about taking Paxil & Wellbutrin together

Hi all - first time posting.

I've been diagnosed with GAD and I've been on Paxil to help with it since I was in the 9th grade (I'm 29 now). About 5 years ago, during a breakthrough anxiety episode, a doctor placed me on Wellbutrin as well because I expressed that I'd been feeling down about being anxious. Since then, I've sort of "discovered" that the reason I end up feeling down while I'm having an anxiety attack is because I end up becoming very dependent on people around me when I'm normnally very independent. I also am unable to enjoy things that I normally do because I'm so nervous and terrified out of my mind. When I'm not in the midst of an anxiety attack (and I say anxiety attack rather than panic attack because they usually last 1-3 weeks), I'm normally a happy easygoing person.

Anyway, between the time I was put on Paxil and then on Welbutrin, I didn't have that many breakthrough anxiety atacks - maybe one or two in a 10 year period that came along with stressors in my everyday life. However, sine I've been on Welbutrin along with Paxil, it seems like I've had an awful lot in a 5 year period of time - approximately 3 or 4. Does anyone take the same combo (I'm currently on 15 mg of Paxil and 150 of Welbutrin but that's varied over time), and, if so, have you experienced the same thing? I'd like to get off of the Welbutrin, but I've recently read that coming off of it can cause "mania", so now (of course) I'm worried that that will happen to me, too. Any advice??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: Questions about taking Paxil & Wellbutrin together

Hello KK82,

Wellbutrin has been known to increase anxiety in some people who have an anxiety disorder. If you have noticed an increase in anxiety since being on Wellbutrin I would suspect the medication is the problem. I would suggest bringing this problem to the attention of your prescribing doctor. As far as tappering off of Wellbutrin, your doctor can tell you the best way to go about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy61 For This Useful Post:
KK82 (06-29-2011)
Closed Thread