It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Need some reassurance please!

I just had one of the most horrible panic attacks i've ever had, I can't get over this fear that something is horribly wrong with my heart. To be honest i'm ok with just a regular anxiety attack, with the shakes and stuff like that, but I can't help going over the edge when it comes to palpitations. Then to top it off I had this tingly feeling down my spine, in my left arm and the left side of my face and neck. This is the second time with the tingling, before it was both arms and up both sides of my neck. I have NEVER experienced this tingling before and it's scaring the hell outta me. I have had numerous panic attacks before, but never with this symptom. I try to tell myself that after I took a Xanax the first time, it went away so that should say something, but it's not helping. I am so scared of there something being wrong with my heart because both of my grandmothers had strokes, the one also had a heart attack and had quadruple bypass surgery. My dad has already suffered from congestive heart failure, his father, and all of his uncles died in their late 40's early 50's from massive heart attacks. I'm PETRIFIED when it comes to anything with my heart! I think i'm becoming a hypochondriac. I had EKG, Holter Monitor, and Echocardiogram done before and everything was fine, but that was 10 years ago. Wondering if maybe I should go get checked again, at least for my own peace of mind. Please give me some reassurance that i'm not totally going crazy here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Talking Re: Need some reassurance please!

Chances are it's nothing. If it'll make you feel better get your heart checked out. But I'm sure you're just fine. If Xanax relieves it then take Xanax whenever it comes on.

The following user gives a hug of support to Frank Furter:
Foxxii (09-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Furter For This Useful Post:
Foxxii (09-13-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Need some reassurance please!

I agree with you, for your own peace of mind have your heart tests run again.
Chances are wonderful that everything will turn out just fine, but it sounds like you need reassurance, and this is an easy way to get it.
Panic attacks are no fun, sorry you are suffering so.

God bless, Sue

The following user gives a hug of support to slenderella:
Foxxii (09-13-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
Foxxii (09-13-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User

Thank you both so much for replying to this! It just makes me feel better to know there are people, like myself, that understand what i'm talking about, and my fears. I was diagnosed when I was 14 with GAD and Panic Disorder, I am now 39, and starting perimenopause. I also should have mentioned that when I went to the doc for my anxiety and panic suddenly reappearing, he told me my blood pressure was elevated. (140/90) But he didn't say anything at all about it being too high, or mention medication or anything, so now I've become obsessed with checking it daily at home, because we all know that high blood pressure can cause strokes and heart disease. I was quite ok before this, with just some increased anxiety, and now i'm so worried about checking my blood pressure all the time. I'm not sure if this is extremely high or not, because my blood pressure was always about 130/70 or in the 70's. This is really freaking me out. I tried to go back on Zoloft, but for some reason the s/e from it were too much for me this time and I had to stop. So now I just take Xanax .5 up to 3 times a day as needed, I usually get away with .25 twice a day, then .5 before bed.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
(female)

OK, so I just got home from the ER about 3 hours ago, because of course, I was having another attack while driving my bus this morning. So after I dropped my bus off at the "yard", I drove myself to the hospital. They took me back right away because of the palpitations. I had an EKG done, some blood work, I was asked a million and one questions, and they were monitoring my blood pressure the whole time. My BP was 150/66 when i first got there, then by the time I left it was 112/79. They told me my EKG was good, and my cardiac enzymes were also good, so they didn't see any need for further testing, like the echo or holter monitor. And all of the other blood work came back perfect. The doctor just told me that I was having "A doozy of a panic attack". They gave me 1mg Ativan in my IV and that calmed me down in no time. I'm still so tired from that though! I only take .5 xanax and that works for me, so this 1 mg Ativan knocked me out. Anyway, i'm glad to report that I can now calm down and know that my heart is "very healthy", as the doctor put it. WHEW! And I don't have high blood pressure, they said my blood pressure was excellent too. Just figured i'd share this with you, and let you know that by trusting my gut, and getting some tests run, I can finally rule out any heart conditions, and know that it is just the panic and anxiety. WOW I feel like I can breath again!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
(female)

marrie12 HB Usermarrie12 HB User

Hey you know how they say it could always be worse well imagine spending all day with your dad in the ER because he needs valve replacment surgery and is now having congestive heart faliure....

For me personally I think it's more than I can handle so I really feel for you. I am completely stressed out over my dad. I'm here at the hospital and last night felt like I coudn't breathe and today a bit dizzy, maybe a bit nervous. I feel like I'm having heart problems.... so I can feel your pain.

I'm trying to tell myself that it's nothing just anxiety and stress but it feels like a lot more.

Please keep in touch let me know how you are doing.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
(female)

Avies23 HB User
Talking Re: Need some reassurance please!

I'm glad you got your reassurance that everything is alright. That's the only thing that works for me.

Like you, out of nowhere, I started suffering from the panic/anxiety attacks and even went deeper into the hypochondria then I've ever have before. I've always been concious about my body/health but lately I've been on a downward spiral and I'll have week long panic/anxiety attacks. It's terrible.

In the last 2 months I've had 1 ekg, 1 echo, 2 blood tests, 1 chest xray and 1 48-hour holter monitor.....all concluding that my heart is fine but explain to me why the last 3 days I've been freaking out about my heart because of aches and pains? LOL never ending cycle with me. I have to just keep telling myself that I'm fine and it gets a little better.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #8
(female)

Avies, As soon as the doc told me that my heart was ok, it felt like I could actually breath again. You have had more testing than I have (echo & x-ray), That would have made me feel even better, so please calm down and stop worrying now. If you start to get an anxiety or panic attack and you get the palpitations, just tell yourself, "Well, here comes that damn anxiety again, it's NOT my heart, and it will go away". It is so hard to do, i know, i've been going through this for 25 years now. *ugh* One thing the doc did mention is that the increase in palpitations & anxiety for me, could be that i'm starting perimenopause, and my hormones are playing really nasty tricks on me. He said that for most women who experience anxiety with perimenopause, there's a very good chance that it will go away all together once you're through. I said "oh great! I've been suffering with it for 25 years already, so your telling me i'll have it now for at least another 10, and that it MIGHT go away after that?... That makes me feel great." He just laughed. Anxiety can do horrible things to people mentally and physically, as we all know too well. I hope you can start to relax yourself now and not worry so much about your heart, since having all of your tests come back good.

Marrie12, I'm so sorry to hear about your father, I know how I get in situations like that, and it's no fun at all. Honestly if you are that concerned about your heart, i'd have some tests done just to ease your mind. That's exactly what I did, so far it seems to be helping me alot, just knowing that my heart is ok. I'm sure i'll have more episodes with worrying, but I know that i've had everything checked out physically, and i'm ok. My next visit will be to the chiropractor to get this stuff with my neck and back straightened out. This is probably the cause of the tingling i've been getting in between my shoulder blades, neck and arms. Once I get that straightened out, I think i'll be on the road to recovery again. I hope everything goes well for your father, and if you need anyone to talk to, you can always message me.

Good luck and God Bless to both of you! I'm here if you need to chat!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
(female)

reallylovesdogs HB Userreallylovesdogs HB Userreallylovesdogs HB User

When my anxiety started almost 2 decades ago I also worried about my heart, blood pressure, etc. I had the holter monitor, ekg, the works too. It was anxiety. I'm still here and heart is fine. Yours will be too. Now you know it's anxiety & can make decisions how to treat it. Hang in there!

Closed Thread