It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB User
Unhappy Anxiety and worry screwing up my stomach?

I posted messages on the IBS and Bowel disorder boards about a situation I'm going through with my stomach. I've suffered from IBS for over 20 years, and anxiety and depression makes my symptoms worse.

At the present time I'm on pins and needles waiting for my insurance company to authorize a CT scan that my doctor ordered after I saw her today because of my bowel issues. I don't know if this is stress-related, or scar-tissue related because of surgery, or something else. All I know is that I'm climbing the walls, waiting to find out when the test will be done.

Then I will be climbing the walls until the test is over with and again while waiting for the results.

I had a cancer scare in 2004. I don't want to go through anything like that again. I had a strangulated hernia/bowel obstruction two years ago. Again, I don't want to go through that either.

Any ideas as to how I can deal with my anxiety? I've been on Valium forever but it's not helping. There's no such thing as a good psychiatrist in my neck of the woods, so my primary care provider has been writing that prescription. She won't give me anything else.

The valium isn't helping alleviate my stress and anxiety over this blasted test I must have. I'm scared and unable to function.

I'm getting angry with God, which I know is wrong, but I can't help how I feel. I'm tired of being sick all the time. My medical history is long and complicated.

Please help....I'm at the end of my rope and don't know what to do, short of checking into the ER and insisting that they do the CT scan right then and there. My stomach has been acting up all day (white coat syndrome and stress?) and I am very very worried.

Last edited by dianajune; 10-13-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Re: Anxiety and worry screwing up my stomach?

Well, anxiety can definetly tie your stomach up in knots. I had that problem for years. It was just anxiety. Given your history, you could have something else besides anxiety. You should definetly get that checked out first. If everything is OK, then you should get the anxiety treated. SSRI antidepressants work very well against anxiety. You don't ned a psychiatrist to get a prescription for an SSRI. Any MD can give you one. If the Valium isn't working for you anymore how about trying something else? Xanax is very popular. As for your IBD/stomach problems have you ever tried Librax? It's a combination of Librium [a tranquilizer] and Atropine [an anti-spasmodic]. It's designed to treat "overactive" digestive systems. I took it years ago and it worked pretty well.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Furter For This Useful Post:
dianajune (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I'm sorry you going through this stress but I think I know how you feel. I get physically ill when I'm in a situation like you are. I can't recommend meds & I don't know about your diet, but I stay off caffeine, drink calming teas such as chamomile & I drink peppermint tea for IBS which helps some.

Try not to be mad at God, He didn't make us ill, we usually do that to ourselves. I'm always praying for God to give me strength. If you call your GP will he call you in something like Frank suggested?

Sorry I can't help more but I hope you are better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammi2 For This Useful Post:
dianajune (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB User

Hello Frank,

I'll have to ask my md about Librax. I never heard of that medication. Hopefully my insurance will cover it and the copay won't be too high. I tried Xanax before but had to stop it as it didn't work for very long.

I'm still trying to get them to set up that CT scan. If worse comes to worse, like I said before, I'll go to the ER and try to get them to expedite it. I wish insurance companies wouldn't make us go through so much red tape.

Thanks for listening!

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-14-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 10-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB User

Sammi:

I have peppermint tea, which helps with my IBS. Sometimes Altoids are good too. I've been under alot of stress during the past month due to a number of things, like car trouble, family issues, etc. Maybe that's why my IBS has been kicking in. I'm hoping it's nothing more serious than that.

What really gets me more than anything else is the delay with regard to setting up the test. At first I was told I could set it up myself, then I found out my doctor was wrong. They won't call the insurance company until next week. I was told today they were busy with a "flu clinic."

Why they couldn't take just a few minutes yesterday or today to deal with this, I don't know. They couldn't have been that busy.

I'll try not to be mad at God, but it's not easy. Oftentimes when I go through stuff like this I wonder why He allows it to happen. Please pray for me.

Thanks!

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-14-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Lightbulb Re: Anxiety and worry screwing up my stomach?

Librax is a very old medicine. It should be cheap or perhaps even available in generic form. Have you tried Ginger? That settles upset stomachs. Try drinking ginger ale or some ginger snap cookies. I don't know if there are ginger pills or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Furter For This Useful Post:
dianajune (10-15-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

Diana,
I would like to say I am sorry your going through this and your having such a hard time. I don't have real answers other than saying that I know that my Anxiety did and still does affect my digestive system. I do only take Xanax for it, but I also take Nortriptyline and Topomax for my Migraines and I know they help. I would just like to remind you that God never puts more on us that we can handle. I'm not sure if you would beleive the same as myself but I do beleive everything happens for a reason. My life surely hasn't been simple. At the same time I turned out pretty good. I raised 3 fine sons and a step son from a previous marriage. I have been pretty sick for a while and now even more so. Truth is if all of the bad and good in life didn't happen to me I would not be who I am today. isurely would not have been able to raise those boys the way I did. So each day, even though they may be hard and sometimes just down right unbarable, I thank God for each one. I don't know why I go through what I do. What I do know is by his Grace I have been through enough to help others get through their hard times. In return I get a smile for knowing that without all of the knowledge that I have gained through all of the good and bad times I wouldn't be able to stand by their side.

I hope this helps you, please know your not alone and we are here for you

Closed Thread