It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

Anxietygoaway HB User
Anxiety/Panic- (GO AWAY)

Hello all,
I am 29 years old and experienced my first Panic attack on 08/10/2011- I was sitting at home relaxed and all of the sudden I started to feel not quite right. I kept feeling like this emptiness in my chest- then all the sudden I felt like my heart stopped real quick ( I don't know how to really explain it). There was like a quick sensation of electric shock from my chest thru my neck to my face. I felt like I was going to pass out so I jumped up and ran to the restroom, splashed my face with cold water, I then immediatley started panicing-my heart started racing- thought I was going to have a heart attack or a stroke or something, I just knew it wasn't something I had ever felt before and it was far from normal. I ended up have my boyfriend take me to urgent care. At that point my chest was hurting, I felt discomfort and tightness- The urgent care checked my Oxygen which was 100%- my pulse was high and as well my blood pressure- They did an EKG which was normal- just showed some sinus arrythmias (which I am told are normal as well). The urgent care gave me a prescription for Xanax and told me I had a panic attack and anxiety and spoke about our fight or flight response. I was then to follow up with my PCP. I followed up with my PCP who just had me continue taking the Xanax- I continued to have this electric shock sensation one more time (in which I took a xanax and was able to calm myself down) - I continue to follow up with my PCP who initially perscribed me Lexapro- I went to the pharmacy to pick this up and it was like $50.00- I called my PCP and requested that something less expensive was called in. They then put me on Buspar- I started out with 30mg (took half the pill in the morning and then the other half in the evening) I tried this medication for about 3 days but it messed my vision up and my pupils got really small- I felt worse than before I took it. My Dr then changed my medication to generic zoloft 50mg- This medication made me super panic like- I couldn't concentrate at work, I felt edgy and started freaking out. The Dr thought that maybe I was just too sensitive to the medication potency so I am now taking 10mg a day of Fluoxetine (generic for Prozac) I do not like this medication either- I feel that its making all my muscle twitch and is just giving me more anxiety. But I am continuing to take it, in hopes that these side effect will eventually subside. (I only take half of a 0.5mg xanax too). I hate anxiety and anxiety hates me. I do not feel like I can function on a daily basis, I've missed work, I dont' want to get out of bed because I do not want to face it. I was seeing a counselor for about 4 weeks but didn't feel like this was really helping me either- she was trying to dig into my childhood and telling me what kind of person I was, she basically told me- after I has told her my stress- "I don't know what you could do, you are kind of stuck in a sucky situation". Now I see a psychologist bi weekly who tells me how to breathe and that I should excercise (I was excercising but got scared) I keep having these horrible chest feelings, pain in my left arm and hand, muscle spasms, face spasms... It's like the Drs cannot convince me that my heart is normal. I have had a 48 hour monitor too, and that was said to be normal, I had a chest X-ray and that was said to be normal. I don't get why I have like these heart skips and my whole chest goes ice cold- but nothing is wrong with me???? It's frustrating. I am attempting to do the mind over matter thing- but it's really hard when I have these physical things happening. Oh, the day after my first panic attack ever 8/10/11- I was driving to work and got rear-ended on the free way. (So it could be possible that some of my pain is from the accident, but it's hard for me to handle it like I could in the passed). Then about a month ago I was driving to the Dr from work- to follow up for my panic attacks and some guy jumped of the bring onto the freeway during rush hour, right infront of my car. It's like things don't stop. My uncle has been in and out of the hospital every day the last month so he probably won't be around much longer- What do I do? I feel stuck... Do I just have to live with it? What has helped other people? Sorry to write a book, but it's so frustrating for me. I always had thought of myself as pretty healthy, strong... except I smoke cigarettes- That's probably not helping my anxiety much- I know that... But really? Has anyone tried acupuncture for anxiety/stress? other techniques? classes or groups? I am supposed to have a stress test coming up shortly- still waiting for the Dr to call me back on that. I need to convince myself that nothing is wrong with my heart. I really messed myself up when I started googling my symptoms. I need a cure. I know that there are people out there with conditions worse than mine, I know... but it's still hard to deal with. My Dr pretty much thinks I am like a hypochondriac I am sure. But I kind of feel that way right now. I need to get this demon out of me!!!!!

Thank you for any type of response.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Anxietygoaway
Hopetoimprove (10-23-2011), myria579 (10-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User
Re: Anxiety/Panic- (GO AWAY)

You appear to just be having anxiety. Not sure how good it is to keep switching between medications. I personally stay on Xanax only for my anxiety. I take my first dose every morning need it or not just to make sure and gauge the rest of my day from there.

Please know your not alone, let us know if we can help you further ok

Last edited by Administrator; 10-19-2011 at 02:49 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to iluv For This Useful Post:
Anxietygoaway (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

Anxietygoaway HB User

The medications feel like they are making things worse for me. I don't mind the Xanax, it actually helps me relax. but my Dr's are so stuck on the fact that it is addictive and habit forming they are hesitant to continue prescribing it.
When I was taking Xanax initially with nothing else, I felt like I was getting better. All these additional things started happening after I started the other medications. I am attempting to take my Drs word for it, that I will eventually get used to it and the side effects will go away....? I don't know though. Thank you for your response! I don't think switching between the medication is a good thing either. I just need something that works.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

I have been on the same dose for 3 years. I do my own clean out each month or every other month. I also take headache medications at night that I know help. I take Nortriptyline at night and Topomax. Ask them to leave you on the Xanax and agree to extremem monitoring. Now in FL I have to go every month for my script. If I dont need it I wont (WONT) take it. I also will take days that I am at home not dealing with anyone and drink a lot of water and cranberry juice to flush my system and dont take any. So talk to them again and just agree to strict monitoring if it works for you. What dosage did they have you on?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
(female)

Anxietygoaway HB User

They gave me a Rx for 0.5mg up to 3xday as needed. But I only take 1/2 a 0.5mg pill at a time and at the most up to 1 whole pill a day. I don't like medication and am very sensitive to the potency.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
(female)

myria579 HB User

Hi,

To start off, there is not much of a cure for anxiety attacks because it is a mental problem and often happens because of stress. I have always had anxiety as well, I panic and feel like I am going to have a heart attack because my heart races so much and I feel like fainting. You always have to remember, that even if the symtoms ressemble a heart attack, there is absolutely no danger. You will not die, you have to control your breathing when it happens. You can also try thinking about something else instead of staying focused on what is going on at the moment. I know that it is extremely hard, but it is a way to control it when it happens. You can't leave anxiety take over!!!! Other tricks are to work out, to illiminate stress and also yoga is a great form of relaxation. I have had problems for many years and only took relaxants as meds. I try not to take too much pills for these problems because I find that my problems get worse. You have to take control of your body when things like these happen, drink tea and relax yourself.

Last edited by myria579; 10-18-2011 at 08:38 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to myria579 For This Useful Post:
Anxietygoaway (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
(female)

Anxietygoaway HB User

Do you find that your anxiety/panic attacks are easier to handle now? Do you at least feel better than when you did when it first started happening? If so, how long did it take? If I take care of some of the things I stress about, perhaps the anxiety will go away? for a little while at least? I heard Yoga works for relaxation. I try the deep breathing, but it's still scary sometimes. My heart doesn't race so much... but I get like a triple beat or possibly a skipped beat every so often and my chest goes freezing cold. It's scary! I can't help thinking about when the next one will come... I just am hoping that things will get better soon, because if they don't... I mind loose my job. I have FMLA right now, but that's not going to cover me forever. I kind of want to get off the anti anxiety med because I feel like this just gives me more worry and problems. I seemed to be managing it a lot better when I was just taking the Xanax as needed. Anyways, I do appreciate your response so thank you for responding. As you can tell, I am still a bit new to this whole experience. Right now I feel like "doomed" like I am going to have to be like this every day of my life. I heard that people do get better though... It just doesn't seem possible for me right now.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
(female)

Anxietygoaway HB User

sorry, I see that you answered the question about yoga.... *calm down - note to self...

Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
(female)

myria579 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxietygoaway View Post
sorry, I see that you answered the question about yoga.... *calm down - note to self...
Hey,

I would tell you that I am 70% better on controlling my anxiety since i've been working out and trying some yoga from time to time. Also, taking deep breathes and trying to deconnect and think of things that make me happy, helps a lot as well. When it first started, I was about 14 years old, and I would wake up during my sleep, screaming and crying and having NO control over my body. I would panic for 1 hours straight. I also fainted.I wasn't able to go to school, go in crowded places or go in a bus. It was so bad that doctors didn't really know what to tell me anymore, besides trying to give me pills that made me worse. I was doing about 5 panic attacks per day for absolutely no reason. I understood that it was all about stress. Me stressing over harsh things i've lived and wasn't able to forget. I finally accepted it, and got over it by leaving these bad experiences behind me and make myself stronger. I definitely think that if you'd work out your stressful situations your anxiety will get better. Mine isn't fully gone, but I do maybe 1 panic attack per month or even less. Which is way better than before. I would stop the meds, and stay with the only meds that make you feel best. Fix your stressful situations and definitely work out 1 h a day and do some yoga to relax yourself. There are better days, you have to think positive, and always beleive in yourself ! You can do it, trust me, I thought it would kill me, and today I'm able to go in a bus, go in crowded places and go to work with out having a panic attack !!!!!!!!

Last edited by myria579; 10-19-2011 at 09:45 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to myria579 For This Useful Post:
Anxietygoaway (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
(female)

sportsgirl2010 HB User

I've never taken Xanax for anxiety personally. I do know that my dr put me on prozac when I first went to him with panic attacks. He did some research for me and took me off of prozac- which he said is more for depression, and put me on an anti anxiety drug. That was 10 years ago- I was off of meds for years, but recently- like last week- recently went on Lexapro. I'm waiting on pins and needles for it to kick in, but I have read and heard good things about Lexapro. Good Luck!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Talking Re: Anxiety/Panic- (GO AWAY)

Hey all:

Anxiety has a very high relapse rate. Once you've had it, chances are you'll get it again at some point. Medication is very good at reducing it, controlling it, but it never "cures" it. My Doc says that's due to the way I'm "wired". It runs in my family. My advice is medication and taking good care of yourself through exercise, diet and getting lots of rest. Staying busy and involved with family and friends helps a lot too. Whatever you can do to keep your brain busy - work, hobbies, social life, whatever.

Good luck.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #12
(female)

Hey sorry I haven't been back in a couple of days. I am prescribed 1mg 3 times a day. I don't take it like that. I take 1mg in the morning for prevention then gauge my day. The rest of the day I will take 1/2 pills 0.5 mg, unless I can feel the attacks coming on really bad, but I'm able to manage much better doing 1/2's than 1 whole 3 times a day. Like I said my dose hasn't been changed in 3 years. Really though I do clean outs. I make sure I flush my system, sometimes I don't take any of my medications and use AZO and flush. I'm just afraid I will get ammune. So if I don't need my pain medication or anxiety medication I WONT take it. Even if it's tolerable, I will wait for as long as I can before I take it, thats how I know it is still working. Hopefully I wont need to make the change.

Closed Thread