It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

Yvette82 HB User
Exclamation Mental hospital for anxiety?

Does this sound right - a doctor would commit a 17 yr old to a mental hospital for anxiety? And if that happen who pays the bill???

Ok let me start over. My niece was getting high anxiety & nervous & miserable all the time. Finally she says she think she is hearing voices. Me and my sister take her down to the hospital to get checked out and they say she have to go into a mental hospital and even though she is 17, we don't have a choice they are just gonna take her.

So we flipped out of course but they said legally there's nothing we could do. They ended up transporting her to another city about an hour away and even though me and my sister tried every day to get her out of there, they kept her for a week!

When she got out they said they diagnose her with anxiety (Uh, yeah, we already knew that!) and give her medicine to take every day. The lady at the front desk hand us a bill for $1300! What?!!! How can they charge you for taking your child away? Is that even legal???

Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Lightbulb Re: Mental hospital for anxiety?

Ummm...I don't know. It must be legal or they wouldn't have done it. The law concerning minors is different compared to adults. Adults can't be committed unless they're a danger to themselves or others. As for minors, I don't know. Since she was hearing voices they may have suspected she had something more serious than just anxiety and that's why they committed her. Since she's a minor her parents are responsible for the bill. You're lucky it was "only" $1300, I would've thought it'd be higher than that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
(female)

Yvette82 HB User
Re: Mental hospital for anxiety?

I'm sorry, I didn't explain that part very well. The $1300 was what my sister owe after her insurance pay the rest.

And the reason the doctors committed her was she was hearing voices & they thought she would hurt herself (even though she told them over & over she wasn't suicidal).

First of all I don't understand how they can say she have anziety because hearing voices seems like it would be something else. That's scary!!!

Second of all I don't know how they can ask her mother to pay $1300 for something she did not want and did not consent to. Plus they haul my niece out of town on top all that! (They say the place for teens with mental disorder in town was full, so my sister say she willbring her back n forth for like outpatient doctor visits but they said no, she has to be put in a hospital)

So I guess I have 2 main problems with this whole disaster - that after all that they decide she have anxiety & not something scary like schizaphrenic, and that they present us with a fat bill for them basiclly kidnapping her. Makes me so angry and I don't know what our legal rights are!

Oh! No, I have 3 problem. The third thing is that no doctor ever talk to my sister, they just let my niece out & said she could go home. What the hell????

(I know I sound a little crazy but this whole thing has just upset us so much)

Last edited by Yvette82; 10-26-2011 at 01:47 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Yvette82:
Frank Furter (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Red face Re: Mental hospital for anxiety?

Oh, I'm very sorry for your niece and for the ordeal your family is going through. Sounds like your sister has Blue Cross/Blue Shield like me---they only pay 50% for mental health.

I don't know what to tell you. I think your sister should be the one to decide what treatments to do or not do. I don't know what your legal rights are. The doctors should explain everything to you and your sister. You have a right to know.

Give my best to your niece.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Furter For This Useful Post:
Yvette82 (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Re: Mental hospital for anxiety?

They did the same thing with my niece, but she was 18. They took her to a different facility that was about 45 minutes away, because like your situation, they had no room in the local place. In this case, she did not fight with them because she knew there was something wrong and she agreed to go. They found out that not only was she suffering with anxiety and panic attacks, but she is also bi-polar as well. They also had her doing some outpatient counseling after she got out, and put her medication.

I'm sure that in your niece's case, they were probably concerned about paranoid schizoprenia, since she said she was hearing voices. If you look up the symptoms for that, you may understand why they wanted to put her in inpatient treatment until they were able to diagnose her properly. I have two cousins with that, and let me tell ya, it's really bad sometimes for them. They can hear voices, and sometimes "the voices" tell them to do things, either to themselves, or to someone else. So please don't be too upset, they were probably only doing it in the best interest of your niece. Alot of people with this condition do try to harm themselves or other people. I really hope this helps you to understand somewhat why they did it. Take care, Fox

The Following User Says Thank You to Foxxii For This Useful Post:
Yvette82 (10-28-2011)
Closed Thread