It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

mamasnug HB Usermamasnug HB User
Health anxiety.......again

Had a bad day yesterday. Trying not to have another today. I have been sick, not sure why, and I took a break from all the tests because it put my anxiety on overload. My husband is not well either and we are waiting for his bloodwork. We have a young child and we are both older parents. My anxiety was so high yesterday that I started that weird breathing thing where I lift my chest, kicking off diaphram spasms. I went through this bout of fear over lung cancer having been a smoker for so many years. I had a CT scan but continue having problems. I have avoided the doc out of total fear, which keeps up the anxiety since I am not addressing it. I have all sorts of fears now. I freak at all medical tests and go on serious panic mode waiting. I did not want to put myself in that position again but I know I am not well so my head goes round and round. I am using my Xanax more and more. I know I need to blow through this and find out what is up, it might be nothing, and then address why I let my mind go here in the first place. I am scared and I keep wishing my friend would come down here and just drag me where I need to go. I actually have to drug myself to handle doctor appointments. I would love to hear from others about how you face this. I think I am just afraid something will happen to me and since I have a child, I am afraid. Now with my husband unwell, my anxiety is worse. I almost want to walk into the urgent care and get it over with. How many of us with smoldering health issues have caved on a bad day and done that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Re: Health anxiety.......again

Mama, I have personally done that! Walked into the ER and told them I was having heart palpitations and that my left arm and neck area were tingling, and I felt lightheaded. They took me back right away, did an ekg, bloodwork to check my cardiac enzymes and everything else, and monitored my blood pressure for about 2 hours. After all tests came back, I was fine, everything came back totally normal. Just a panic attack. They gave me 1 mg of Ativan through IV and it calmed me right down. Just having the tests done made me feel so much better knowing that there was nothing seriously wrong. I had since gone back to my regular doc and was put back on Zoloft. I take that and xanax twice a day. I found out that my anxiety/panic attacks came back, worse than before, because I am starting perimenopause. I thought I was too young (39), but I guess not. Best of luck to you! Fox

Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
(female)

God bless you. I'm 42 and I swear to God this menopause. I have noticed a huge difference since about 37 when I started having more and more panic attackes, weird periods, etc., I think I'm off the charts hormone wise. I am not sure if all the pains are from the neck, which I've been told, or just panic. I think I'll do the ER trip and instead of calling all over the place for appointments and then waiting for them to come back. That does not work when you have anxiety, it ramps it up too bad. I have the "I can not wait" anxiety. I am having some real health issues, not sure exactly what it is, and that is just too much for me. I was handling it pretty well until my husband got sick, now all that pressure has shifted to me. I eat Vicodin for the pain (very small amount) and I take the Xanax. But, in the back of my mind, I know I'll feel better if I just go into the ER and get it over with. I have done that before. When I'm having these episodes, I need to stay on the Xanax more than normal. Yesterday I tried to stop taking both the Vicodin and did just .25 of the Xanax and had a bad, bad, bad day. Today I did my normal meds and I'm feeling better, though that left rib pain is still pretty difficult. It feels like I'm not doing so well getting air into the left lung but it feels like it's coming from down low, below the rib. I have an upper and lower GI set for Nov. 17, which I have to do because of my age and family history, but I think I need to do that "I'm not dying" trip to the ER. I have my kid home today so I can't go. If I can send her to school tomorrow, I'll go right after I drop her off. It's so embarassing but one of us in this house has to mentally clear to handle life. I'm still in the rule-out phase of MS too. I'm too damn young for this crap. I am not spring chicken but seriously, I turned 42 six days ago, this is just too much for a woman my age.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
(female)

Where you actually sick and having those pains or was it thoughts that you were sick and had to? It's hard to tell what is real in those moments. I have had nerve pain for about a year with ZERO reason for it, other than maybe all the c-spine issues. I wish I could wake up and feel better, I think that would really help with the anxiety. It won't take it away, though, and the slighest bit of illness brings it right back. I think it's PTSD from a long illness I had two years ago, I go right back to the "dying" thing the minute I'm sick. Maybe I need more than Xanax. And you know, while I have all the pressure under my rib, and pain, on the Xanax it's not bad at all, so it makes me think it's pure panic symptoms, not breathing right from it and causing the pain to be worse. You know the drill I'm sure.

Closed Thread