It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

pinkdolphin77 HB User
Panic/Anxiety Attacks

I was diagnosed with panic/anxiety attacks approximately 7 years ago after I found my birth mother. She was nice and all but after I asked her about my birth father, she told me straight up she should have just aborted me and that I hadn't been raised right (...my adoptive parents are the best)! Since then, I panic or have an anxiety attack for no reasons. I could be watching television, reading a book, or playing games with my kids, and out of the blue I start to panic. Why does this happen to me? Will this ever end? I have been to a therapist (went for a year) and he gave me things to do when it happens, but I find that it happens quite often lately. I have pills I can take when I feel the need to, but I don't want to be dependent on them forever.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-08-2011 at 08:39 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to pinkdolphin77:
WhenItRains (11-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Panic/Anxiety Attacks

A couple of things

1. As well as your "as needed" pills, taking an SSRI antidepressant every day can help prevent panic attacks, and isnt habit forming or addictive. This might be a good option for you for maybe 6-12 motnhs, or even longer if needed.

2. You sound as though you'd be an ideal candidtae for CBT - ask your doctor for a referal to a psychologist who practicves this at the same time you ask about an SSRI

best of luck.

Oh, and dont worry too much about becomming dependant on your "as needed" pills, you'd have to take them every day for a month to even start to become dependant

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
Re: Panic/Anxiety Attacks

What is CBT,Jonnstar?

I just wanted to add that I think coming off antidepressants is much harder then stopping anti anxiety drugs.I have just weaned slowly off of Prozac and still went through hell,and still feel crappy 50 days later.

I have never felt bad or withdraws from stopping my xanax.So Jonnstar is right you have to take it every single day for at least 30 days to start to become dependent on it.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Lightbulb Re: Panic/Anxiety Attacks

SSRIs will block the panic and calm you down but not so much that you're a "zombie".

Closed Thread