It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

jetnetpet HB User
First time with anxiety and medication

Hi, this is all weird to me.
But my doctor said I had anxiety perhaps more than a month ago. But she left the medical centre so I have a new doctor that doesn't know anything about me and she's got frustrated because I was shaking so much because I get anxious when I go see the doctor...
My original doctor would try help me naturally with breathing exercising, but that never worked. And now she's gone, the new one has put me on Citalopram. I had my first dose last night. I told her I had trouble sleeping and now i'm ****** off because after taking the med last night I got the worst sleep ever. I was walking around the house all night trying to find comfort.
Usually i feel crap at night, but this morning i just feel crap. I know these are the side effects, i'v already researched about it. I just want to know if I'll be safe. I've never taken medication and i've always been scared to. I only asked for something that will help me sleep, no anti depressants. I don't think my anxiety is that bad. I just feel like she put me on them because she can't be bothered.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-15-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
(female)

Ayria HB UserAyria HB UserAyria HB UserAyria HB User
Re: First time with anxiety and medication

Wow, such a shame you have such a bad doctor in comparison to your old one. I couldn't sleep at all on Citalopram it was one of my worst anti depressants I was on. Don't let this put you off, it's been very successful for a lot of people. In the UK where I live, they generally do an order of, Citalopram -> Sertraline then Prozac. I think Prozac is actually the best one for women when it comes to anti-depressants but that's just me.

I think she's not given you anything to help you sleep because they are generally very addictive and are generally seen as a last resort. Anti depressants can help with some anxiety features so that's probably why she gave you Citalopram.

One thing you could look into that worked brilliantly for my anxiety is a beta blocker called Propranolol, it helps with the physical side effects of anxiety like shaking, sweating, panic attacks even too and I took Propranolol combined with an anti depressant (Prozac) for awhile. Propranolol allowed me to take a step back and rethink a situation calmly before reacting badly to it, prevented panic attacks when I took it 3 times a day, and really helped with the physical problems. It's also non-addictive. She will need to test your blood pressure before giving you it though. It's definitely worth considering and bringing up with your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread