It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Red face Can you safely mix two Anti-depressant together?

I am on 50mgs of generic Zoloft with klonopin and have been on Zoloft for almost three plus weeks and have terrible sweating and anxiety. I was wondering I was ON CELEXA and can you mix two antidepressants together @ a low dose? My anxiety is out of this world and the shaking of the hands is quite embarrassing..........

Has anyone had luck mixing two without weight gain? Pls. advise. I am going to the dr. this morning and don't want to look like a fool..........lol..........but always COME HERE FIRST...........always.

please advise..........and God bless each and everyone of you for your support.......

IS their two AD that don't cause weight gain and will help me with my anxiety? I am seriously think about going back on Celexa for I did not have the shaking problem...........or maybe another AD?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Re: Can you safely mix two Anti-depressant together?

Himmy, I would not take two antidepressants together, especially if they are both SSRI's. It's ok sometimes when you're switching from one to the other, while tapering off of one and starting the other at the same time, but definately not i'd say, because there's a risk of seratonin syndrome occuring if you have too much in your system.

Just hang in there and take your klonopin with your zoloft, it WILL get better for you, but if it's too bothersome, and you had no trouble on the Celexa, then maybe you should go back to that.

Your doc will probably tell you the same thing I just told you. God Bless! ((Hugs)) Fox

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Exclamation Re: Can you safely mix two Anti-depressant together?

Not sure. Seems like some have mixed SSRIs and Wellbutrin or something. You'll have to ask your doctor. Too much serotonin will give you serotonin syndrome which isn't good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Furter For This Useful Post:
himmylover (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Thank you all kindly. My dr. wants to do blood work, which I think is great and try a new AD called Viiyald? I think that is what it is called, sorry on the spelling.........anyone heard of this one? Is suppose to be a newer one........

We will see soon.

God bless all........

Old 12-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
(female)

emotiongirl HB User

No you shouldn't.

research serotonin syndrome, it can happen if you mix antidepressants. I read this while researching. you should also consult your doctor as well.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I highly concur with the others' warnings about serotonin syndrome. Taking too medications that elevate serotonin is extremely dangerous. If an SSRI and a benzodiazepine haven't helped your anxiety, unfortunately, you just have to keep working with your doctor until you find the perfect combination. There are lots of different brands of SSRIs and benzos to start with, and if these don't work or work alone, there are many other psychiatric medications to try as augmentation therapy or singular therapy.

The bad thing with anxiety and depresion is everyone focuses on SSRIs far too frequently. Yes, there is great evidence that serotonin is a key factor in both anxiety disorders and major depression, but there are lots of other neurotransmitters that could be the problem, too. This is why you may find that an SNRI like Wellbutrin is your perfect match or an atypical anti-psychotic that works on dopamine.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

The Following User Says Thank You to GatsbyLuvr1920 For This Useful Post:
himmylover (12-15-2011)
Closed Thread