It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

amaranth9 HB User
Does Anxiety Run in the Family?

Hello,

I just signed up to this message board and I would like to learn more about what I may be going through. I have never been formally diagnosed with anxiety or depression but I think I suffer from both a lot of the time. I also believe that the major source of my anxiety and depression is my upbringing, which I hope one day I will gain the courage to share on this message board. But for now, my question is concerning whether anxiety is inter-generational.

I know my mother is an extremely anxious person. She has also never been formally diagnosed (her pride gets in the way of accepting help) but she is a germaphobe and a very controlling person in general. She has also had countless episodes where she basically completely overreacts about something that is out of her control, takes it out on anyone and everyone around her, and falls into a depression for a couple of weeks. She has also taken Ativan in the past which always seemed to knock her out, make her depression worse and I think she may have been abusing it.

While I believe that my anxiety is manifesting itself differently than my mother, I am still a very anxious person. I worry about the future a lot, mainly a particular issue that I don't want to get into right now but the issue is related to my family life and seems to be amplifying my stress levels. I also had what seemed to be a panic attack last year.

So the question remains, does anxiety tend to run in the family?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Re: Does Anxiety Run in the Family?

HI,

I personally would say YES.............just my thoughts. For my mom has it bad and so does my sister, NOT as bad as me and mom, but I have it pretty bad that and some panic attacks at times.......but with positive thinking and breathing and me saying, I AM GOING TO BEAT THIS......has help, yep, and exercise............oh, and medication............but hope ONE Day.............maybe...

Sorry to go off on their but to be honest I Do believe it runs in families, some just hide it better then others..........

The Following User Says Thank You to himmylover For This Useful Post:
amaranth9 (12-13-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

And yes my family and stress make it so much more worse.........LOVE THEM TO DEATH, bu they do make it worse on me..........SO YOU ARE NOT ALONE............Have you talked to anyone? A dr..........or friend, or heck anyone here can help you too..............you are not alone.

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-11-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Replaced "U" with "You" as per the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User

There have been many studies done that link anxiety/panic disorders and depression, to being genetic, or hereditary. I personally have a family FULL of anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar, etc...

I personally, have GAD, Panic Disorder, Depression a bit of Agoraphobia, along with PMDD and Fibromyalgia, and now starting perimenopause at 39, which by the way, sent my anxiety and panic attacks through the roof! My grandmother suffered from anxiety and depression, my mother had anxiety and panic attacks, and is now suffering from a touch of agoraphobia, my son gets anxiety attacks every so often, my niece suffers from anxiety/panic attacks and is bipolar, and two of my cousins suffer from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

So YES! It is hereditary!

It sounds to me, the way you describe your mother, that she could be suffering from bipolar disorder. My husband is bipolar, and he goes through the same thing.

Anyway, I hope this helps you some! ((hugs)) Fox

The Following User Says Thank You to Foxxii For This Useful Post:
amaranth9 (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

amaranth9 HB User

Thank you for your replies, the were extremely helpful and it definitely makes me feel better to know that I am not alone. I hope to one day gain the courage to elaborate on my story on this board and explain where a lot of my anxiety is coming from.

himmylover - I will take your advice and try to practice some breathing exercises more often. I have not spoken to anyone about this except for a psychologist once who basically told me that I don't need any more sessions with him even though I felt that I did. So perhaps that made me lose a little faith in therapy. But I plan on seeing someone eventually.

Foxxii - For years not I have wondered whether she has a mood, anxiety or personality disorder. I sometimes think that she may be have Borderline Personality Disorder with some anxiety and depression mixed in. But who knows. I guess I just need to work on me for now.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have also felt that way about my mother too. Unfortunately she is allot of my stress and I love her to death, but now she has health issues I am having a very hard time dealing with and think that makes my anxiety allot worse.

Be strong girl. We are here for you.........and shame on the pysc. should take on another profession if I were him. Butt head.............

YOU ARE NOT ALONE............

Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User

That's the best thing you can do right now for yourself. Work on YOU first! I learned that very valuable lesson within the last year. I needed to "fix" ME before I could worry about anyone else. I hope you get everything straightened out for yourself. God bless! ((hugs)) Fox

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxxii For This Useful Post:
amaranth9 (12-14-2011), himmylover (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much...............this is so true. Ashamed that it took me this long to figure that out............

Thank You and hugs to all.............D

The Following User Says Thank You to himmylover For This Useful Post:
amaranth9 (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Red face Re: Does Anxiety Run in the Family?

Yup. Dad had it. So did one grandmother (dad's mom) and some aunts and uncles (dad's siblings).

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Furter For This Useful Post:
amaranth9 (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is truly a horrible illness for a daughter or family to watch................

Sorry, I meant my mom's illness...........dementia...........I am not dealing with it well @ ALL..........

Closed Thread