It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
(male)

BigLion HB User
Starting Prozac - Anxiety is Way Up

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a little reassurance, I guess. I have struggled with anxiety for the last several years off and on, but lately it has gotten very bad for me. My dr. prescribed me 20mg daily of Prozac and .5mg of Ativan as needed to help me sleep since I've only been sleeping 2 or 3 hours a night for the last several weeks.

Anyway, the Ativan is great, it kicks my anxiety and helps me get a restful night's sleep. I know it's a benzo and I can't take it forever though.

The Prozac seems to be more of a problem. This is only my second day, but so far here's what seems to happen (I'm taking my prozac and an ativan before bed:
  1. I wake up and the anxiety starts pretty quickly.
  2. My anxiety gets really bad. I can't do much other than lay around in bed.
  3. Eventually, near the end of the day I start to even out, and have a pretty calm evening.
  4. The anxiety starts to creep back in and I take my Prozac and an Ativan and go to sleep.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is pretty normal as far as side effects go. I also understand that everyone's body reacts to these things differently, but I feel like the anxiety during the day is almost too much to bear. I want to stick it out and get the benefit of the meds, but does this increased anxiety ever go away? How long does it normally take for some people?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Re: Starting Prozac - Anxiety is Way Up

First off, let me start by telling you my experience with Prozac....It was horrible! It increased my anxiety ten-fold! I know some people that take it and have good results, but also there are some that don't. I guess i'm one of the ones that don't. I think it affects each person differently. Maybe you need a different med if the prozac is "amping up" your anxiety.

Oh, and who says you can't take benzo's forever? I know a few people that have been taking them for a good twenty years or more. I am personally taking Zoloft and Xanax, and have no plans on coming off of either if I can help it! I don't care what people say about benzo's.....Xanax was a Godsend to me, that's all I know!

Benzo's get a bad rap because there are people out there that DON'T need it and they abuse it. But the people that really do need it are the ones that are so scared of addiction, they actually take LESS than what's prescribed to them. Me, personally, being one of them. I was prescribed .5 xanax 3x's a day, and I still only take 2.

My point is this.....people who have Anxiety/Panic disorders, and really need it, do not usually become addicted because of their own fears about it.

Hope this makes sense to you.....Take care, Fox

Old 01-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
(male)

chevy101 HB User
Re: Starting Prozac - Anxiety is Way Up

I agree prozac was not good for me when i tried it. i took it it for about 10 days 10mg 1 time per day. to start off with it was ok but then my anxiety got worse x 2 or 3 anyway i stopped it and now i only take xanax as needed, sometimes i dont take it even when i should because im affraid of getting hooked on it. a friend told me i didnt give the prozac long enough to start working she said she had been on it 10 yrs. and loved it. i think she is up to like 80mg per day now....i was on zoloft for about a yr. it was ok but i got to where i couldnt sleep so i stopped it also i gained 30 pounds with it and when i stopped it i lost the 30 pounds and thought i was sick....lol anxiety sucks...

Closed Thread