It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
(male)

chicagochuck HB User
Generalized anxiety and Ocd.. and School.....

I have had anxiety and ocd since i was in grammar school... I have been taking college classes on and off. Sometimes The anxiety keeps me out of school and sometimes I can deal with it. I mean I have had anxiety about getting anything less then a A which has caused me to take very few classes a semester.

I have been trying to take a speech class for 2 years now but I always avoided it and took other necessary classes. Now it's down to the wire I need the class to graduate.

Recently my doctor has prescribed me prozac to take everyday and clonazepam to take as needed.

My first speech is Feb 22.. I know the medication should kick in by then ,and it should help. I'm just so nervous already.

Any suggestions ???

Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Generalized anxiety and Ocd.. and School.....

Hello chicagochuck.

Have you tried any individual or group therapy for your anxiety? I recently finished with an anxiety support group and I think it has helped me a lot with recognizing and changing the thought patterns that contribute to my anxiety.

It may sound strange but perhaps the pressure of having to take the speech class in order to graduate may make you feel less anxious when you do give your speeches? You sound like someone who cares very much about his grades and you may end up focusing more on giving a good speech than your anxiety. Something that helped me to reduce my anxiety during speech class was realizing that I wasn't the only person in the classroom who was anxious about giving a speech.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
(male)

chicagochuck HB User
Re: Generalized anxiety and Ocd.. and School.....

Iv tried group therapy a few years back it did help some what. At this point I'll try anything. I just know I'm usually nervous and have anxiety about so many different things. So I would think giving a speech is going to be 2x as much. lol I'll try my best to calm down

Closed Thread