It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

IrrationalMe HB User
Out of my Mind with (Rabies) Worry

I do not normally get overwhelmed with irrational thoughts but, oh my word, I can't shake this.

Yesterday, I found a dead bat in my garage. I have two stray cats who stay in there in the winter. The bat comes in the garage every so often. Well, we just moved our cars in there for the winter (it was a mess until recently), and this gave the cat a platform for getting the bat (whom I hadn't seen in there in a long time). I'm pretty sure it was an orange cat who got the bat.

Well, after preschool, my 5 year old son petted the grey cat, remember the one I doubt killed the bat. The cat is a nice guy and he just allowed my son to pet him, and that was that. There was no bite. Or scratch. Nothing like that at all. I also petted the cat.

So, later in the afternoon, it dawns on me-- what if the bat had rabies??
I googled and, ever since then, I have been plagued by irrational fears that my son is going to die from rabies!!

NOw, everything on the Internet says no, you can only get rabies through saliva entering your blood stream through a wound or mucous membranes. Again, the cat didn't lick my baby, and my son didn't put his hands near the cat's mouth. Plus, at that point, the cat had killed the bat less than 24 hours before ( we hard a ruckus at around 9 pm the night before). I also read it's not possible to contract rabies during the incubation period which is usually 3-5 days in a cat (but there are variations with rabies incubation). The health department said there's no reason to get him the rabies post vaccine...and they are testing the bat.

Long story short, all the evidence points to no way in hell has my child contracted rabies....But, I can't stop my worry.

Please tell me I'm being ridiculous. This has interfered with me living my life all day. I need it to stop...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Re: Out of my Mind with (Rabies) Worry

OK! I will tell you that you are being ridiculous! LOL! If there was no saliva contact with your son, then he will be perfectly fine, and so will you! It's the anxiety playing tricks now because you gave it an "opening" due to your worry and your fear. Don't worry, everything will be fine!

Fox

Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
(female)

IrrationalMe HB User

LOL Foxii. I know you're right...but I still can't shake the feeling, what if my little boy is wrong and the cat did gleek on him or something. GAH. Intellectually, I know I am being soooooo stubborn and stupid....He's not shy about vocalizing every little thing and would have said, Ah, the cat bit me if, indeed, that had happened. But, I just can't get my mind to believe it :-/ The problem is, I didn't SEE him pet the cat. I was behind the car door getting stuff out. And, then today, he had the sniffles and felt hot-- which, of course, is a symptom of rabies...but yet again, there's an incubation period and how likely is it the symptoms would show up in less than 48 hours?????? I hate being a mom; it's made me daffy :-P

More "you're being ridiculous" is certainly welcome!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User

LOL! You asked someone to do it, so I did.

But seriously, I don't think you have anything to worry about. You said that they took the bat and are testing it for rabies right?

I actually went through a bit if a rabies scare during the summer because we found this little kitten outside, we chased it down and my husband picked it up, well it ended up scratching AND biting him to the point of drawing blood. I cleaned everything up real good with peroxide and antibiotic ointment right away. But I was a bit paranoid for a while thinking he got rabies from this kitten. LOL!

The minds of people with anxiety disorders play too many tricks on us, and then they cause the obsessive thoughts that just won't go away.

When you hear back from whoever took the bat for testing, it'll ease your mind. It was probably fine before the cat killed it. LOL!

Last edited by Foxxii; 01-25-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
(female)

IrrationalMe HB User

OK....I think I'm basically over it :-) My mind is still stumbling over an irrational thought every so often...but, there's no way the kid could have gotten rabies. I mean, the bat might not even have had rabies...plus, there's no way it could have incubated in the cat that fast if the bat even bit the cat. Plus, the cat never even bit my son!!

Phew.

Still looking forward to the lab reports tomorrow....But, that unfortunate overactive fantasy ate my whole day.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
(female)

willow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB User

First rule of thumb if you have anxiety - DON'T GOOGLE...ANYTHING.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
(female)

Glad to hear you are feeling better about it today. Let me know how the results came out when you get them. I'm curious to see what they say. Fox

Last edited by Foxxii; 01-26-2012 at 12:19 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Foxxii For This Useful Post:
IrrationalMe (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
(female)

IrrationalMe HB User

The results came back today....NEGATIVE for rabies.

And that's a big doh!

I'm very relieved though :-)

Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
(female)

Good! Glad to hear that it eased your mind, and don't have the constant "what if's" anymore. Now BREATHE! LOL!

Last edited by Foxxii; 01-26-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Closed Thread