It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
(male)

MR KE HB User
Could chronic dizziness/vision feeling off be caused by anxiety?

Ever since I had a bad bout of vertigo almost two years ago, I have suffered from feelings of what I will term dizziness/abnormal head feelings, as well as panic/anxiety. Over time, I have learned to deal better with panic and anxiety, and many of my earlier symptoms such as acid reflux, IBS, palpitations and high blood pressure have disappeared (Which is great). I am much more functional than I was a couple of months ago, and am no longer on any medication.

The only thing that still remains is this chronic feeling of dizziness - by this I mean a feeling that my equilibrium is slightly off and sometimes my eyes don't want to focus on one thing too long. This feeling has varying degrees of intensity, from barely there to very strong. Sometimes it feels like my body is moving slightly in place, but not so much that I will lose my balance. If I let myself, I can also see the outlines of objects shimmering/vibrating at a very fast rate. I can tune this out most of the time though. My situation is not bad enough to prevent me from doing things such as driving a car, cycling and other things that require balance, but it is enough to negatively impact my quality of life. I have noticed when I am anxious, these feelings can get worse.

I never saw an ENT about my vertigo, since it went away - however, the feelings that I have left sound like they could be similar to uncompensated labyrinthitis (which could have been a possible cause of my vertigo). Other accounts I have read make me think these feelings could be one of the last representations of my anxiety (in the form of what I have seen called chronic unspecified dizziness), a place for my anxious feelings to go now that I have most everything else under control. Have any of you had similar experiences?
Thanks,
MR KE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User
Re: Could chronic dizziness/vision feeling off be caused by anxiety?

This is a really common thing. They do have vestibular rehab places. They can do a few quick tests and then give you some excercises that basically retrain your brain and calm down the symptoms. Menapause, pre menapause also play a role in this. I was great until nearing menapause and had viral labrynthitis with vertigo and dizziness, and a few of my friends had it as well. We are all arond the same age which is interesting so i read up on peri menapause and seems very common, and scary. I have noticed is vestibular rehab is very helpful and to get sleep. Much better when rested. If you clench your teeth get a soft splint for your mouth cause that can cause dizziness too. A good multivitamin and b complex important. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Vertigo can cause anxiety attacks, I know this firsthand! About 8 years ago I had several vertigo attacks where the room was spinning while driving home from work in heavy traffic. I would advise you to see either an Otologist or a Neurotologist and get this checked out. Also check out the Vertigo/Dizziness section of this forum, there are a lot of knowledgable members. Back when I was having my problems, there wasn't a lot of information available. I saw an ENT, Cardiologist, Neurologist and PT but wish I would have known about the Otologist and Neurotologist.

Hope you feel better and will let us know how you are doing.

Last edited by rufous57; 02-02-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: additional info added

Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itburns2004 View Post
This is a really common thing. They do have vestibular rehab places. They can do a few quick tests and then give you some excercises that basically retrain your brain and calm down the symptoms. Menapause, pre menapause also play a role in this. I was great until nearing menapause and had viral labrynthitis with vertigo and dizziness, and a few of my friends had it as well. We are all arond the same age which is interesting so i read up on peri menapause and seems very common, and scary. I have noticed is vestibular rehab is very helpful and to get sleep. Much better when rested. If you clench your teeth get a soft splint for your mouth cause that can cause dizziness too. A good multivitamin and b complex important. Hope you feel better soon.

This is very interesting that you mention menopause/perimenopause playing a role in vertigo attacks. When I had my first attack 8 years ago, I think I was definitely in perimenopause but none of my doctors mentioned anything about this! But since the OP is male, the cause of his vertigo remains to be seen and diagnosed.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
(female)

molly705 HB User

I too had a case of vertigo this past year just before Christmas. Went to the doctor and had fluid behind both ear drums. I had had a head cold about a week previous to this. I also have anxiety and have had it for years. I used to take Imipramine but was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease and can no longer take the Imipramine. I am also a night time clencher and grinder. I too still experience occasional bouts of dizziness. They only occur when I am in a situation that would have caused dizziness when I had the vertigo. If that makes any sense. It only seems to happen when I have it in my head that it is going to happen. I find that if Itake 3 deep breaths and try to think about something else helps. I wish there were a medication I could take to help with the anxiety but all of the SSRI's cause teeth clenching and I already do that due to the anxiety.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, balance, dizziness, panic, vertigo