It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

Jewels14 HB User
Social Anxiety

It's interesting how something as 'simple' as being shy can ultimately lead to debilitating social anxiety years later. As a teenager I was always shy, couldn't do a presentation without crying and would run as far away as possible at the mere suggestion that a guy might be interested. Started to socialize less and less and then as an adult I couldn't function at social gatherings at all until I now avoid them completely. I am now 32 years old and I don't have any friends and have never dated. How pathetic. Never had a family as a child and now i am just as alone now as i was then. My anxiety got so bad that i ended up unemployed for two years because I couldn't simply walk into a store and ask for an application. I finally managed to get a job which I don't like going to. Dealing with people and finding solutions to people's problems is what i do. Too many people around me stress me out and i completely tune out when having to talk. I avoid eye contact and the only way to deal is anger. At some point I think you realize it's too late because the fear is too strong.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jewels14:
flamesabers (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Social Anxiety

Hello Jewels14.

I'm sorry to hear how debilitating your social anxiety is. I can really relate to the feeling of being pathetic due to not dating or not having friends. Have you tried therapy or a support group for people suffering from social anxiety? While starting therapy can be an unnerving experience, I oftentimes find it a huge relief to share my doubts, concerns and fears with my therapist. Since starting therapy I've realized that I frequently hold myself to a higher standard than anybody else, including my struggle to become more social. I know it's hard to overcome social anxiety and I'm not even to that point myself. I think if you talk to someone about what you're up against and if you try to become more social in small and manageable ways you may find it easier to become more social.

Last edited by flamesabers; 01-30-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: Social Anxiety

Have you ever talked to anyone about this? Too many years you have missed out on....you are still so young....I heard a psychologist once say: "if you're doing what you don't like doing, then you're doing the right thing." Now that says it all right there. You have to begin the process and do something you don't like doing, and see that it wasn't as bad as you had envisioned it to be.....it's a process...but you have to start some where....good luck my friend!!

Closed Thread