It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

ScaredOne620 HB User
Longest duration of anxiety attack?

What's the longest time your anxiety attack has lasted?

I woke up this morning feeling heavy-headed and incredibly groggy. After breakfast, I felt pretty much normal.

But then in the afternoon, I began to have mild dizzy spells. Since dinnertime, I've broken down in tears twice, feeling like I was hyperventilating.

Is it common to have multiple attacks like that, or is it one drawn out attack?

I was just diagnosed with Anxiety Attacks yesterday & began taking an off-brand of Zoloft and an off-brand of Valium. I don't like the Valium.... it made me like a zombie. I can't remember what happened between the hours of 4pm & 7pm yesterday after I took the Valium.

And for some reason, I keep worrying that I'm having a heart attack. Yes, I'm a little overweight, but I stay active by walking with my dog & hiking mountainous trails with my boyfriend, so my heart should be fine. But I keep doubting it.

The following user gives a hug of support to ScaredOne620:
missu (02-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ScaredOne620 For This Useful Post:
ravia1729 (02-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
(female)

klkane HB User
Re: Longest duration of anxiety attack?

If you usually have more than a few panic attacks in the spread of a day or two, it is more likely panic disorder. Or if you just started you meds, it can cause more anxiety in the beginning. Give the meds sometime to kick in, but if they are too much talk to your doctor it took me 3 different meds till i found the right one, I also do somatic therapy, CBT, and massage therapy!...try breathing. What often helps me is imagining a square in my mind and tracing the lines while i breathe, so I count to 4 while iam tracing the 4 lines. deep abdominal breathing not from the chest. 1 count for each line. De stress is a must stress brings on panic...keep your days less busy if possible and be kind to yourself, There is way through this...keep positive and ask for support!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klkane For This Useful Post:
ravia1729 (02-24-2012), ScaredOne620 (02-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

It does sound like a panic attacks. Very common and since this is new to you as you search to figure it out you will find a lot of information on it. Itunes has many apps and books to help guide you/ I would suggest a good multivitamin, vitamib c and b12 (sublingual) because anxiety is hard on your body so keep it armed with important vitamins and healthy foods. If you drink alcohol..your going to need to stop. Until you manage the anxiety caffiene is not useful either. If you do not excercise its a good idea to start..you get natural endorphines from movement. Be patient and try to keep your mind busy. Being afraid when the anxiety swarms over you is not going to make it go away, it will fuel it. So when it occurs try to ground your mind.keep saying to yourself this is your body overreactioning to fight or flight and everything is safe and calm. Picture yourself in your favorite place in your mind and smile. If it get too overwhelming to do that.. outloud count to hundred by three and dont stop till you feel relieved of the stress. i will say the body can not handle two different emotions at the same time so if you laugh, get angry..it will hault it as well. Anxiety and panic root from negative thinking and repeating the negative thinking and fears over and over. So to reverse it you need to change the way you think on a concious level and unconscious level. Whatever religon you are can also be of use to let your religion into your life. I say this because many people feel helpless and lost as these attacks occer and faith can be calming for many people as well. I wish you all the best and that you learn to cope with the anxiety quickly and heal. Good luck you among many many millions of people who know your pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to itburns2004 For This Useful Post:
ScaredOne620 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
(female)

missu HB User

the longest duration of my anxiety attack was two minutes with a break of about thirty seconds and then another wave of about another two minutes , I did not know any coping mechanisms for the attacks at the time but talking to my doctor and she told me it is just my mind trying to hijack my body .These attacks are pretty scary and even though they feel like your gonna hyperventilate ,get dizzy, tingly , and all those other very scary feelings that come with these attacks , i have learned to "ride" the wave of anxiety out. in other words i don't fight the attack , but during it i just tell myself everything will be allright and it is not life threatening i will be allright , and usually get up and walk around untill it subsides. I hope you are ok soon and that these anxiety attacks go away and are only because of the medication you were prescribed .You said you were prescribed Valium, i would take that at the onset of your anxiety attack , it helped me alot just untill you adjust to your other medication.

The Following User Says Thank You to missu For This Useful Post:
ScaredOne620 (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

klkane HB User

This good information and I completely agree with it! I have seen great improvements with my anxiety from all of these modalities mentioned here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itburns2004 View Post
It does sound like a panic attacks. Very common and since this is new to you as you search to figure it out you will find a lot of information on it. Itunes has many apps and books to help guide you/ I would suggest a good multivitamin, vitamib c and b12 (sublingual) because anxiety is hard on your body so keep it armed with important vitamins and healthy foods. If you drink alcohol..your going to need to stop. Until you manage the anxiety caffiene is not useful either. If you do not excercise its a good idea to start..you get natural endorphines from movement. Be patient and try to keep your mind busy. Being afraid when the anxiety swarms over you is not going to make it go away, it will fuel it. So when it occurs try to ground your mind.keep saying to yourself this is your body overreactioning to fight or flight and everything is safe and calm. Picture yourself in your favorite place in your mind and smile. If it get too overwhelming to do that.. outloud count to hundred by three and dont stop till you feel relieved of the stress. i will say the body can not handle two different emotions at the same time so if you laugh, get angry..it will hault it as well. Anxiety and panic root from negative thinking and repeating the negative thinking and fears over and over. So to reverse it you need to change the way you think on a concious level and unconscious level. Whatever religon you are can also be of use to let your religion into your life. I say this because many people feel helpless and lost as these attacks occer and faith can be calming for many people as well. I wish you all the best and that you learn to cope with the anxiety quickly and heal. Good luck you among many many millions of people who know your pain.

The following user gives a hug of support to klkane:
missu (02-25-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
(female)

bella voce HB User

It depends on what you mean by a panic attack. I've never had my heart palpitate for extended periods of time, but I've had shaking and the inability to speak or think clearly last for over 24 hours.

Closed Thread